Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Nick-on or Nye-kon?

Ewanneil 7 1.1k 2 Scotland
23 Sep 2011 10:34AM

Quote:You're not Japanases though are you Keith? Parisians say Par-ie we say Paris. Sorted.Tongue

In which case we have no right to get upset when Americans take the train from Glass-cow to Edin-burrow.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

thewilliam 8 6.1k
23 Sep 2011 11:07AM
Who cares how the name is pronounced?

What really matter is whether you can afford to buy them!
adrian_w Plus
9 3.7k 4 Scotland
23 Sep 2011 11:19AM

Quote:You're not Japanases though are you Keith? Parisians say Par-ie we say Paris. Sorted.Tongue

In which case we have no right to get upset when Americans take the train from Glass-cow to Edin-burrow.

Whenever I come across Americans who say Edin-burg, I ask them if they know of that city in America called Pitts-borough. The more prescient of them sheepishly ask, what is the correct pronunciation then? The rest just look totally blank.
keithh 13 25.3k 33 Wallis And Futuna
23 Sep 2011 12:13PM
I'm turning Japanese
Photogeek 12 605 6 Wales
23 Sep 2011 2:04PM
He thinks he's turning Japanese
He really thinks so
Turning Japanese . . . . .

. . . . Could be a song there Tongue
Carabosse Plus
14 40.8k 269 England
23 Sep 2011 2:35PM

Quote:

. . . . Could be a song there

Oh surely not ? Wink
redhed17 11 826 England
23 Sep 2011 2:45PM

Whenever I come across Americans who say Edin-burg, I ask them if they know of that city in America called Pitts-borough. The more prescient of them sheepishly ask, what is the correct pronunciation then? The rest just look totally blank.

I wouldn't go that far, but when they talk about how places are pronounced in other countries I always think of Arkansas (arkansaw) and Connecticut (ceneticut). Although saying that, I can how some UK names can confuse even us. Towcester! (toaster). Wink
Carabosse Plus
14 40.8k 269 England
23 Sep 2011 2:51PM
Americans have problems with Leicestershire and the like!
discreetphoton 12 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
23 Sep 2011 6:30PM
Depends where you are. There's a Worcester in Massachusetts, and they're all perfectly able to pronounce it "Woosta"
RogBrown 10 3.1k 10 England
23 Sep 2011 6:36PM
And Gloucester. And Plymouth.
thatmanbrian 5 342 3 Spain
23 Sep 2011 7:26PM
I'm not prejudiced or anything but it irks me when they say thorrow instead of thorough. I like the idea someone had of mispronouncing their words on purpose.

Not really fair of course as Americans are quite entitled to pronounce how they like. But I rather like the idea that we Brits preserve our identity through our pronounciation, esp regional accents which really flumox the yanks!!
Brian
User_Removed 7 4.6k 1 Scotland
23 Sep 2011 7:45PM

Quote:esp regional accents which really flumox the yanks!!
Brian

Presumably pronounced "floomox". In Scotland we spell it "flummox" and pronounce it "flummax".

There comes a time in the life of every EPZ forumite when he regrets even having started a thread!!

Wink
keith selmes 13 7.2k 1 United Kingdom
24 Sep 2011 12:29AM

Quote:And Plymouth.
plimmuff is not that ard to say, innit

Quote:

Connecticut (ceneticut)

as I heard it, there was d in cenedicut Smile
cosmicnode 7 22 England
28 Sep 2011 6:52PM
Whilst watching a power boat race on the telly the American commentator said that the boats were rounding the "Boooeee" It took a while to work out that he meant "buoy"
bfgstew 10 668 105 England
28 Sep 2011 9:12PM
Symal-tanious instead of Simultaneous

The worst is Semi.........Tongue

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.