Save 50% on inPixio Photo Studio Pro

Night photography.

EmmaG_M 13 136 4 United Kingdom
22 Jan 2008 10:05AM
Weather willing, I'm going to try my hand at night photography tonight, we're out for a meal and there's a wonderfull old church right near where we're going thats really nicely lit up at night, so I thought, what they heck lets have a bash! Any hints and tips I should bear in mind?
BurntOut 14 321 2 England
22 Jan 2008 10:12AM
Take a tripod and a torch. If you have a remote release use that. If not use the camera on self-timer.
If you're going to be taking the picture from within the grounds of the church, I think you need permission first (although I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong Wink )

Enjoy!
22 Jan 2008 10:29AM
Tripod, Check! Torch, Check! Figure out self timer on camera, Check! The grounds are classed as a public place as they are a through fair to some houses so I shouldn't think I'll need permission, Check!
EddieAC Plus
16 3.0k 2 United Kingdom
22 Jan 2008 10:32AM
There is an article about this in the latest Digital Camera magazine and it says you don't need permission to photograph a church but you will if you are going to sell the print or display in a gallery.

You will have to leave if asked though or you will be trespassing.

You could always get hold of a copy or read a friends for more info about this.
CaptivePixels 13 343 2 Scotland
22 Jan 2008 11:11AM
In general, photographing a public building from a public place should be fine. Be aware though that the grounds may not be classed as a public place even though the public has a right to pass through them.

If it were me, I would personally seek out the minister and get a property release signed to be on the safe side. If he starts talking about fees why not offer a copy of the print to be auctioned for the church funds?

Mike
22 Jan 2008 12:01PM
Very usefull information, I will look into this carefully as I don't want to get in any trouble!
JohnHorne 16 1.0k
22 Jan 2008 1:49PM
As a general rule night-time photographs look better when there is still some colour in the sky rather than waiting until it is completely black. Have a look at [link=null]some examples of night photography [/link] in the gallery.
apexweb 13 24
23 Jan 2008 9:57AM
Also wear something very warm, you end up standing around a lot waiting for the exposures and it can get very cold!
digicammad 17 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
23 Jan 2008 11:11AM
You could also have a bash at HDR, it works well for night time photography.

Ian
Hugeknot 16 1.2k 2 Iceland
23 Jan 2008 2:29PM
If there are lights in the picture, it might be worth using a smaller aperture (16 for example) this will give you less glare and will require a longer exposure. I would recommend HDR but go for a total range of exposures say 125/1 to 2min. You wont be disapointed.
23 Jan 2008 7:32PM
I'm kind of glad it was raining last night, I now have a chance to have a practice using your hints and tips (thanks guys) I really need to get some of that hdr software, I'd love to have a go!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.