Exclusive Offer - 20% Off Mitsubishi CP-M15E Printer Bundle!

Nikon 1 Series 70-300mm lens

Steppenwolf 9 1.2k
13 Mar 2014 2:27PM
I see Nikon have just introduced a 70-300mm lens for their 1 Series CSC, equivalent to 190-810mm on 35mm - and it's only 4" long! This sounds like a really good wildlife lens depending on its quality. So Nikon is the only CSC that has a long wildlife lens in the range.
StrayCat 16 19.1k 3 Canada
13 Mar 2014 6:49PM
I was reading that this morning. It's quite expensive though for the kit with what you'll need, right around $2300.00 usd. I wonder about resale value of that kit if it doesn't live up to the hype. However, given 6 months or so of field testing by others, I could be interested.Smile
keithh 16 25.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
13 Mar 2014 9:21PM
810mm while you waft it about in front of your squinting face as you try and follow the little birdie while your brain attempts to cut out the memory of how much it's cost you. Wink
13 Mar 2014 10:05PM
Like those who think 20 x 50 binoculars are better than 7 or 8 x 50....you can't hold the damn things still and the field of view is naff all...

In a previous life...a deck cadet had bought such an item, realised they were bl99dy useless for observation from a usually already oscillating bridge wing...and the captain's advice was to flog them to one of the ship's engineers, they'd know no different and be impressed by the numbers.....

He did...
Steppenwolf 9 1.2k
14 Mar 2014 8:33AM

Quote:810mm while you waft it about in front of your squinting face as you try and follow the little birdie while your brain attempts to cut out the memory of how much it's cost you. Wink

The V1/2/3 all have excellent EVFs. Also these new lenses (and new bodies which have IS built-in, like Olympus and Sony) have highly effective IS which make hand-holding lenses of this focal length fairly easy.
14 Mar 2014 9:17AM
You cant alter physics and the stance people take when using this type of camera does not lend itself to 800mm.
I use CSC cameras....I just dont get evangelical.
Steppenwolf 9 1.2k
14 Mar 2014 9:47AM

Quote:You cant alter physics and the stance people take when using this type of camera does not lend itself to 800mm.
I use CSC cameras....I just dont get evangelical.

?

When you use any interchangeable lens camera with a super-telephoto lens you tend to hold the lens rather than the camera so the size of the camera doesn't make much difference. For example, it's no harder holding a NEX with a 300mm lens than it is holding an SLT with the same lens, and I don't adopt a different "stance" - in both cases I just hold the lens.
Evertonian 7 729 England
14 Mar 2014 10:22AM

Quote:Like those who think 20 x 50 binoculars are better than 7 or 8 x 50....you can't hold the damn things still and the field of view is naff all...

In a previous life...a deck cadet had bought such an item, realised they were bl99dy useless for observation from a usually already oscillating bridge wing...and the captain's advice was to flog them to one of the ship's engineers, they'd know no different and be impressed by the numbers.....

He did...

As an ex Marine Engineer - I doubt that.
14 Mar 2014 10:36AM
I'm guessing that we're assuming the user has bought the CP1 viewfinder in which case he might well be able to adopt a more suitable position to shoot with an 800mm lens but I doubt it.
15 Mar 2014 10:30PM

Quote:As an ex Marine Engineer - I doubt that

Sorry about your doubts, but it is a true event..

He sold them to the Engineer Cadet, a young Geordie lad from New Biggin - on a tanker called Llanishen...long since gone for razor blades..
Evertonian 7 729 England
16 Mar 2014 10:21AM
Quote: As an ex Marine Engineer - I doubt that

Sorry about your doubts, but it is a true event..

He sold them to the Engineer Cadet, a young Geordie lad from New Biggin - on a tanker called Llanishen...long since gone for razor blades..

What you are implying by your original (Ha! Ha!) story, is that Engineers are not as bright as the deck officers. The contrary is true. Engineers have special qualifications that enable them to work in almost any plant or factory in the world or to run their own high value businesses if that way inclined. Look at Isambard Kingdom Brunel for example. What are deck officers qualified to do other than steer ships using GPS? Answer: Nothing.

QED
LenShepherd 12 4.3k United Kingdom
16 Mar 2014 10:23AM

Quote:I see Nikon have just introduced a 70-300mm lens for their 1 Series CSC, equivalent to 190-810mm on 35mm - and it's only 4" long!

Perhaps some are ignoring the obvious - Nikon has introduced an alternative to what is often used now.
How good it is combined with the new V3 is speculation as there are as yet no reviews.
Around 16 MP is good enough for high end pro bodies from Nikon and Canon. If you cannot make a good 24 inch wide print from 16 MP maybe you should investigate if the issue is a lack of photographic skill.
Each generation of camera improves on resolution, dynamic range and high ISO noise. The new V3 should comfortably resolve more than a D3 and noise and dynamic range could easily be better than a D300.
The Olympus original 4/3 performance was probably as lack lustre as the V1. Look where micro 4/3 is now compared to a D300 Smile
The superior V series AF accuracy compared to DSLR phase detect and in lens VR may for many purposes, including birding, produce results with the new body and lens with the convenience of 7x 40 binoculars compared to D4s and 800 mm as 20x50 for convenience with decent results at 10% of the price and probably 10% of the size and weight.
Whether the new lens and body catch on in sales terms is a different topic to can it deliver good enough results for many potential users at a much lower price.
The scenario is comparable to the recent Tamron 150-600 zoom with surprisingly good results for the price point.
For those perhaps looking for excuses by saying you cannot easily hand hold at 800mm FX angle of view; next time you see a group of birders using scopes - they know they need a tripod for sharp images Smile
16 Mar 2014 10:18PM
I was pointing out what will happen....not what should. Wink
Steppenwolf 9 1.2k
17 Mar 2014 8:40AM

Quote:
The Olympus original 4/3 performance was probably as lack lustre as the V1.

I think the V1 has pretty good IQ. The problem is that the kit lenses (10-30, 30-110) are not very good - probably because they're very cheap. I'm pretty sure with a decent lens the V1 (and the V2/3) will produce great quality pictures at reasonable ISOs. That's why the new lens looks interesting - it's not cheap, so it looks like Nikon are starting to take this format seriously. It's also the first super-tele lens for a CSC.

Provided that Nikon have got the quality right this could make a fairly serious birding combo. It's about as compact as a super-zoom bridge but promises much better results. I'll await the reviews.
ChrisV Plus
14 2.3k 26 United Kingdom
18 Mar 2014 11:53AM
Apart from *only* having an eq reach of 600mm why doesn't the Panny 100-300 qualify as a 'super-zoom'? It's a little faster and only half the price. On a newer m4/3 body it's also likely to give far cleaner results at higher ISOs, making it far more useful if you need to push sensitivity to get fast shutter speeds.

The new Nikon lens may be very good, but I just don't see it as any sort of step change.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.