Nikon 18-200 Lens

Strobe 12 1.3k United States
9 Jul 2008 9:45AM
Morning,

I have a Nikon D80 and have been thinking of upgrading to a D300, I have been doing photography for less than a year. After reading a lot of forums here I have decided to rather buy a good lens and carry on learning with the D80 and then upgrade my camera later on.

I have the following lenses :
Sigma 105 macro
Nikon 50 mm f/1.4
Sigma 80-300
Sigma 10-20
Nikon 18-135mm

I am unhappy with the Nikon 18-135 and Sigma 80-300 so I was thinking of replacing them with the Nikon 18-200mm f3.5-5.6 G AF-S DX VR Lens link

Would you recommend this lens as and good all rounder, or something else.

Thanks
Marc

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

snapbandit 15 2.3k 3 Northern Ireland
9 Jul 2008 10:04AM
It's a great all rounder if you want to keep it on as general 'walkabout' lens & the VR works well for low light hand held situations, Image quality is quite good (as good as the renowned 18-70 Nikon in my opinion, I sold my 18-70 shortly after getting the 18-200), to get a noticeable improvement in Image quality you have to spend quite a bit more money and although it is a reasonably light lens it has proven (to me) to be quite sturdy.

My 2p

Joe B
bangalicious 12 1.3k 5 England
9 Jul 2008 10:08AM
Just for my own information, why are you unhappy with the 18-135mm?

Anil.
Strobe 12 1.3k United States
9 Jul 2008 10:14AM

Quote:Just for my own information, why are you unhappy with the 18-135mm?

Anil.

this is the kit lens which came with the camera, I just think that there are better lenses out there.
I was also told that Kit lens's are not the best quality, my exact model cant be purchased individually so I have nothing to compare it with.

I am off to US this week where the 18-200 is a lot cheaper.
digicammad 16 22.0k 39 United Kingdom
9 Jul 2008 10:18AM
I use the 18-200 as a general walkabout lens and have always been very happy with the results. If you combine extreme telephoto and very small aperture it can give softish results, but there aren't many lenses which wouldn't in those circumstances.

Ian
tavm 13 31 United Kingdom
9 Jul 2008 10:19AM
I love mine and it is very sharp at the wide end. I use it on a D80 it's a bit slow at 200mm but all it takes are a few trips out to learn the Apertures for the focal lengths + the VR (which is NOT a magic wand).
It stays on my camera all of the time and I have achieved many shots I would have missed without it.
BTW your shots in your portfolio with the 18-135 look fine to me.....
Tim
cameracat 16 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
9 Jul 2008 10:40AM

Quote:I was also told that Kit lens's are not the best quality

Just because a lens is bundled into a kit, Does not make it a bad lens, That myth and the title kit lens are something that has crept in over the last few years.....Sad

Nikons 18-70....So called kit lens is a case in point, Often reffered to as a kit lens, Although sold seperately, This particular model can when used within it's known specs, Produce results way above it's class.........SAME applies to your 18-135, Which I must point out is available seperatley.

However identical lens can produce various results, It's a production line issue that spans not just the mid range but also the very expensive pro lens, An example of this is the latest Nikon 24- 70 f2.8 blah blah lens, Costing over a 1000, Yes this is a fab lens on paper, And yes there are many many very happy owners, But there is also a number of very unhappy owners, Who are experiencing problems you don't expect on a lens costing 4 figures.

So if your having consistent image problems with your copy of the 18-135, It may be your particular lens is one of those production issues, It may well be worth sending it to Nikon for a calibration check & service in the first instance.

It would be cheaper & less hassle than selling the 18-135, Just to replace it with another walkabout mid range lens....Like the 18 - 200.

Save your dosh, And wait until your 100% sure what you need the lens for, Your current kit is a good range, Plenty to keep you busy too, If you really want to change one of them I nock out the Sigma 80-300 for something better, Like the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR, But you may need to save a little for that....!

Upgrade to D300....? I'd hold off if I was you, The D80 is a good tool used correctly, And the replacement model for this camera is probably due soon.......Rumours of a D90 etc.....Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.