Nikon 24-120 f4 or....

robs 16 685 2 United Kingdom
17 Nov 2015 11:48AM
Hi

I have a mothballed Nikon D800 which I really should start using and abusing again - the 24-70 f2.8 died, was repaired and died again so I decided it really needed replacing. Due to my lack of funds, and lack of lenses which were suitable for day to day use I abandoned my Nikon and have been using my little Olympus OM-D E-M5 mkII (and mkI previously) for the best part of 2 years... perhaps 3....

Anyway, I have been perusing and bemoaning the reduction in dynamic range, and figured it was about time I sorted something out. I am not sure that the 24-70 is the best choice necessarily and am drawn towards the 24-120 f4 as it seems a handy "every day" lens. I am open to suggestions though!

On the Olympus I tend to use the equivalent of a 24mm f2 prime, 90mm f1.8 prime and occasionally some other optics, but mainly those two. The 90 is sometimes a bit short and I rarely need to go wider than 24. I do a lot of stitched panoramics.

So - is the f4 zoom my best bet, or should I go with 2/3 primes instead and be done with it?

My hope is to have the camera back out in the hills in the New Year if my broken ankle either heals enough (old injury, long story) or I get surgery sorted out as is being suggested before Spring! The zoom appeals as I don't need to change lenses so often, hence don't need to clean the sensor so often!

The other lenses I have at the moment - for info - are the 12-24 f2.8, 50 f1.2, 70-200 f2.8 (mk I and it has been through the wars... literally)

Budget wise - no idea... depends what is free after moving costs have all been accounted for in December. I have no issue with second hand though, infact I would probably buy used either way!

Ta

Rob

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 4 1.0k United Kingdom
17 Nov 2015 3:04PM
I have the 24-120 on my 810 and use it all the time for video work, I also use the 28-300 VR which is a great walk about lens.

Do not under estimate the quality of the 24-120, I have and use the 14-24, 70-200 f2.8 and others, the 24-120 is a very good lens.

Pre owned ones

http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Nikon-AF-S-24-120mm-f/3.5-5.6G-ED-VR_132307.html
17 Nov 2015 3:07PM
276190_1447772817.jpg

17 Nov 2015 3:21PM
I was looking at the newer f4 VR, seen them used for under 500 and figured it would be (I hope) at least as good as the Canon 24-105 L that I had on the 5D some years ago before jumping ship to Nikon Wink

That was always a very useful lens.
17 Nov 2015 3:23PM

Quote:I was looking at the newer f4 VR, seen them used for under 500 and figured it would be (I hope) at least as good as the Canon 24-105 L that I had on the 5D some years ago before jumping ship to Nikon Wink

That was always a very useful lens.

Yes mine is the F4, a very good lens as I said

http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Used/Nikon-24-120mm-f4-VR-G_130572.html
17 Nov 2015 3:33PM
Cheers!

It is on the cards after moving - which we are hoping to do in mid December - if there are any funds left over!

I think my inclination is to get a used 24-120 as mentioned, then perhaps supplement it with a couple of primes later on... and possibly a replacement for the old, battered 70-200 in some form or another. Much as I love the OM-D system it does have it's limitations!
17 Nov 2015 3:44PM

Quote:Cheers!

It i Much as I love the OM-D system it does have it's limitations!

Yes like exceedingly poor range of available lenses.

OM series are one of the highest re sold kits I am told
ChrisV Plus
12 2.3k 26 United Kingdom
17 Nov 2015 4:38PM

Quote:
Quote:Cheers!

It i Much as I love the OM-D system it does have it's limitations!

Yes like exceedingly poor range of available lenses.

OM series are one of the highest re sold kits I am told

No one matches CaNikon for the range of available optics, but outside of those two, the MFT system has the widest choice of lenses out there.
17 Nov 2015 5:53PM
I would say the MFT lens range is actually pretty good myself! I just want more sensor real estate Wink
17 Nov 2015 6:02PM
That is it in a nutshell

You get what you pay for and one assumes that MTF is a good enthusiasts type of camera

I have my opinion people before you attack me
17 Nov 2015 6:14PM
lol - you do know there are some VERY serious pros using MFTs don't you Wink

The system has it's place, and I have a lot of use for it so have no plans on ditching my OIympus set up. However I have had a few occasions where I have hit the limitations... or at least been forced to work around them where I would have had an easier time getting the shot on the big D800 - hence why I am wanting to get it back into operation!

I suspect I will still use the Oly more than the Nikon, but at least I will have options Wink
17 Nov 2015 6:31PM

Quote:lol - you do know there are some VERY serious pros using MFTs don't you Wink

The system has it's place, and I have a lot of use for it so have no plans on ditching my OIympus set up. However I have had a few occasions where I have hit the limitations... or at least been forced to work around them where I would have had an easier time getting the shot on the big D800 - hence why I am wanting to get it back into operation!

I suspect I will still use the Oly more than the Nikon, but at least I will have options Wink

Yes I did in fact say it tongue in cheek and should have added a Tongue

The problem is that I like many many others grew up before the digital age and I loooooooove my DSLRs, I still have my BBCB 32k, but will never like or want to use anything else such as a phone to take photos or 4/3, I still have my Nikon F Photomic FTn, Nikkormat etc, I just love the feel, handling etc of a proper camera WinkWinkWinkWink
17 Nov 2015 6:52PM
I have a Nikkormat - used to be my expedition camera! Absolutely bulletproof!!!!

Stopped using it and moved to Canon with the EOS3 which was stunning in a different way, then DSLRs which I love but man they are big and heavy! The MFT is a system that I can take out on the mountain bike without worry - and take quite a range of kit up mountains!

DSLRs and MFT are both superb, just in different ways Wink
17 Nov 2015 7:31PM
There was something about photography back then, I am NOT being nostalgic,but we never worried about keeping the shutter clean, cleaned lenses with whatever shirt we had on and shutter life wasn't even thought of.

I still have my original working Weston Euromaster meter, which was introduced by Weston Middlesex when we entered the EU
17 Nov 2015 7:35PM
I still approach it in much the same way... just wish I didn't get so much rubbish on the Nikon's sensor (now that is an area they could learn something from Olympus!!!)

I still clean lenses on t-shirts!

The only thing I don't miss is paying for film and processing Wink

(Just noticed this is my 666th forum post - that should be celebrated I think!)

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.