Zoner Photo Studio X: The only photo editor you'll ever need - save 25%

Nikon 50mm f/1.4 AF-D + D80. Results?

StrayCat 17 19.1k 3 Canada
7 Jan 2010 4:39AM
Kenrockwell .com has an interesting review on it if you haven't seen it yet.
miked70 12 225 3 South Africa
7 Jan 2010 7:44AM
it will strat to live on your camera mine does i have the 1.8 just love it
Nickscape 15 708 9 England
7 Jan 2010 9:15AM
you will not be disapointed with the 1.8 version, its perfectly sharp on my D200.

Now you've saved the money from the 1.4 version perhaps you may start to look at the 35mm version, whilst the 50mm is great on the crop sensor you might find it a little too long and something a little wider would be useful. thats the conclusion ive come to and am now look for the 35mm to go with the 50mm.
User_Removed 11 4.6k 1 Scotland
7 Jan 2010 9:35AM

Quote:You will not be disapointed with the 1.8 version, its perfectly sharp on my D200.

Now you've saved the money from the 1.4 version perhaps you may start to look at the 35mm version, whilst the 50mm is great on the crop sensor you might find it a little too long and something a little wider would be useful. thats the conclusion ive come to and am now look for the 35mm to go with the 50mm.

Yes. While a 50mm lens was "standard" on 35mm film cameras, it is a short telephoto on DX digital bodies.

(A "standard" lens is one that gives approximately the same perspective as the human eye).

I use the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 on my D300 when I need a "standard" lens for low light conditions. Excellent results.

Just one wee (and pretty marginal) comment on the 1.4 v. 1.8 debate - the conventional wisdom would be that no normal lens will deliver its optimum sharpness at maximum aperture. So a 1.4 lens at 1.8 should give a slightly better performance than a 1.8 lens at 1.8 (all other things being equal - which they rarely are!)

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.