ADVERTISEMENT
Save 10% On Your First Order With WhiteWall. Use Code: EPWW10

Nikon 80-400 4.5 5.6 D

7 Sep 2013 10:24AM
Hi, Has any one any experience with the Nikon 80-400, is it any good, and can I use a 1.4 converter with it, I use a D7000 and D600 bodies.
RoyChilds 15 117 England
7 Sep 2013 3:02PM
Had one and sold it heavy,focus slow picture not bad not brilliant the new version looks a lot better all round but pricey at the moment. don't know about converters etc. personally I am looking at the Nikon 70-200 f4 for my D600. cheers Roy
7 Sep 2013 3:11PM
Many thanks Roy
ikett 12 545 England
7 Sep 2013 5:17PM
Hi, been looking at this one myself link to Nikon site, new version, it can A/F if camera has f8 ability don't know your camera abilities.
7 Sep 2013 5:33PM
Many thanks
StrayCat 18 19.1k 3 Canada
7 Sep 2013 8:18PM
I had that lens for about four years and it was rarely off the camera, a Nikon D70. The optics of that lens are world class, as good as most lenses in that range. The focusing is slow, it is the old screw type focusing system, which requires a focusing motor in the camera. The AF is acceptable for still subjects, or walking or running animals in good light, but not for something like birds in flight. It was the first Nikon lens with VR, but it works, giving you 2 - 3 extra stops. The last year that I had that lens, I used it mainly on a tripod, that's when I really began to appreciate what the pros said about the first class optics. As far as weight goes, it's what one would expect for a lens of that design, and it is not overly large. It was my main walkabout lens for wildlife.
7 Sep 2013 9:14PM
many thanks
LenShepherd 14 4.6k United Kingdom
8 Sep 2013 8:05AM
Based on ownership and Nikon's MTF the D version was a bit soft in the corners of FX at 400mm f5.6 - but extremely good in the corners of DX. This FX corner fall off is no worse than most Nikon lenses, but it is there.
AF speed is slow by modern standards but very accurate.
It can AF at effective f8 in good light (all Nikon bodies can AF at f8 with all AF points) with a Kenko Pro 300 1.4x converter - but not fast enough for moving subjects.
If you mainly work from a tripod, at about £650 second hand it can be a very good acquisition.
The new AF-s version is optically better, focusses much faster, does AF with a Nikon TC14e, has tripod mode VR - and still seems to have a high strew price of £2,099.
8 Sep 2013 10:55AM
Many thanks for the information re lens regards dave

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.