Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

Nikon AF-S 35mm f/1.8 G DX Lens

probie 13 24 United Kingdom
3 Apr 2013 2:43PM
hi there, after a lot of deliberation i have purchased a Nikon AF-S 35mm f/1.8 G DX Lens and have tried numerous settings and so far i am getting sharper images from my Nikon AF-S 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6 G ED VR Lens, i thought i would get sharper images than i am? any info would be greatly appreciated,

thanks

pete
Newdevonian 9 466 United Kingdom
3 Apr 2013 3:43PM
It's possible you have a bad copy, but first test both lenses tripod mounted. The 35mm has a good reputation at F1.8 (mine is certainly very good, and excellent all over by F4). Don't forget it is not a VR lens so ensure that your hands are steady when shooting normally. The 35mm does have some barrel distortion, but it would have caused no problems to anything in your PF. Try some more extensive and objective testing before you condemn it.
3 Apr 2013 3:55PM
HI NEWDEVONIAN, THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY,
I HAVE TOOK ABOUT A HUNDRED SHOTS WITH IT AND THEN TOOK THE SAME SHOTS WITH THE 18-105 AT THE SAME FOCAL LENGTH, I HAVE USED A HIGH SHUTTER SPEED ALSO, THE RESULTS ARE THAT MY 18-105 PRODUCES THE SHARPER SHOTS, I AM A TAD BEWILDERED AND SURPRISED SO FAR,
THANKS

PETE
Newdevonian 9 466 United Kingdom
3 Apr 2013 5:43PM
I have just read your previous thread of the 20th March where you state you have shaky hands. I still reckon you should try tripod mounting if you can manage it. Even a table tripod, wall mounted might help. Manfrotto do a very solid table tripod, that together with a ball head might solve your problems..
GeorgeBuchan 12 37 Scotland
3 Apr 2013 6:19PM
Have you calebrated the lens to suit your camera sensor? Ive done this with all my Nikon lenses and it really makes a diffrance.
3 Apr 2013 7:23PM
if you use wider apertures (e.g. f/1.8 instead f/5.6) on your new lens, then it's normal that it isn't as sharp as it is in the 18-105.

Then, sharpness isn't everything.

I didn't like the look of the 18-105, albeit it is a very sharp lens.
3 Apr 2013 7:55PM
hi, thanks for your comments,
I can use a tripod but I was informed in the shop that it would in a lot of ways make my 18-105 lens redundant even without a tripod,
I don't know how to calibrate a lens to the camera,
it doesn't matter what aperture I use the 18-105 is still sharper?
thanks again

pete
3 Apr 2013 8:36PM

Quote:Hi, thanks for your comments,
I can use a tripod but I was informed in the shop that it would in a lot of ways make my 18-105 lens redundant even without a tripod,
I don't know how to calibrate a lens to the camera,
it doesn't matter what aperture I use the 18-105 is still sharper?
thanks again

pete

Its really easy to calibrate your lens, what camera are you using? Its usually in the instruction manual for the camera.
3 Apr 2013 8:43PM
hi georgebuchan,
I am using the Nikon d3100

pete
3 Apr 2013 10:47PM
Hi Pete,

I down loaded the D3100 instruction manual and is doesn't have anything in it about lens / AF calibration in it. It looks like its not possible.

Another suggestion I've came across is to see if you can update the firmware -
https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/answers/list#s=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.

Sorry i cant help any further

Cheers
George
LenShepherd 13 4.4k United Kingdom
4 Apr 2013 9:40AM
Why waste effort complaining on this forum?
Your portfolio confirms you can get good sharp images with your "kit" lens.
Nikon's MTF shows the 35mm prime as the best optical performer by a comfortable margin http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/index.htm
Your photos indicate you are UK-based. If you are bought from a UK retailer you have a legal right to either a new lens or your money back.
Talk to the retailer Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.