Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Nikon D300?

21 Aug 2011 8:20PM
Ive been looking at buying a pro nikon d300 BUT ive been told that this may well be being replaced later this year Has any idea got any ifo on this?

also, any thoughts on the D300 would be welcome.. thanks..
Sooty_1 11 1.5k 221 United Kingdom
21 Aug 2011 8:29PM
Nikon D300 is not a pro camera, but is half way between pro and entry level. It will be replaced in the line up this year (the D300S is already out there and has been for some time). Doesn't stop it being a great camera, and the price will go down after the new one comes out.

Almost as good as a D3, but lighter and though not built like a tank. It has good low-light performance too. If you want one, and don't need the latest kit, buy one. You won't be disappointed. If, on the other hand, you must have the latest stuff, wait and see what Christmas time brings.

Nick
discreetphoton Plus
16 3.5k 20 United Kingdom
21 Aug 2011 8:31PM
Mine hasn't let me down yet. There's always an upgrade coming, so it's pointless to wait and see, if you want a camera now, except for the fact that the price will drop upon the release of a new model. Really it comes down to why you want the D300 in particular, and if you are upgrading an exisitng camera.
User_Removed 17 17.9k 8 Norway
21 Aug 2011 8:35PM

Quote:Nikon D300 is not a pro camera,

Oh dear... Isn't it? (Someone get on the phone to Nikon and tell them they have made a mistake....)

Define 'Pro' please..??
BigRick 15 2.1k 3 United Kingdom
21 Aug 2011 8:58PM

Quote:Nikon D300 is not a pro camera, but is half way between pro and entry level. It will be replaced in the line up this year (the D300S is already out there and has been for some time). Doesn't stop it being a great camera, and the price will go down after the new one comes out.

Almost as good as a D3, but lighter and though not built like a tank. It has good low-light performance too. If you want one, and don't need the latest kit, buy one. You won't be disappointed. If, on the other hand, you must have the latest stuff, wait and see what Christmas time brings.

Nick

....even though Nikon have it in their Pro range listings? NPU members can have the D300 and D300s in their kit bag and it counts as Pro kit?
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
21 Aug 2011 9:12PM

Quote:Nikon D300 is not a pro camera

LOL....Probably got that information from " Sweep " .....Grin

Now we all know that Sweep is an avid Canon shooter Smile So he might be a tad biased.....!!!

I'm fairly sure that Nikon announced the D300 and D300s as being " Pro DX " models, ie: The best of in a crop format....!!!!

Wink
21 Aug 2011 9:23PM
Nikon have traditionally categorised their cameras thus:

Fx or Dx Pro cameras
Fxx or Dxx consumer cameras.
Fxxx or Dxxx semi-pro cameras.
Fxxxx or Dxxxx amateur/entry level cameras.

It is not categorised by the people that use them. I might use a D3x but am not a pro photographer as defined by my camera.
That the D300 is considered 'good enough' to be used as the main camera by a professional does not necessarily promote it to a 'pro' camera, but it does indicate that is good enough to be considered as such. It has a lot of the same internals as the D3, but it is not built as ruggedly and is a lot cheaper than a 'pro' body: you can get five D300s for the price of one D3x, so it makes sense if you are paying for it yourself.
User_Removed 17 17.9k 8 Norway
21 Aug 2011 9:35PM
Ah!! I get it!!

'Sooty_1' is one of those individuals that believes (irrespective of the Manufacturers 'positioning) that, owning a defined 'Pro' camera is all important when it comes to producing images!!

And - because the camera used for 'a particular image' is a 'Pro' camera, the image MUST be good!!

LOL!!!
21 Aug 2011 9:37PM
I can't see on the Nikon website where it categorises the D300 as a 'professional' body. The closest it gets is to state "professional level performance"........ in a lightweight magnesium body, whereas the D3 mentions a "rugged but lightweight alloy body with comprehensive weather sealing against dust and moisture". The usual indicators of a more professional level camera body.

Tongue
21 Aug 2011 9:43PM

Quote:Ah!! I get it!!

'Sooty_1' is one of those individuals that believes (irrespective of the Manufacturers 'positioning) that, owning a defined 'Pro' camera is all important when it comes to producing images!!

And - because the camera used for 'a particular image' is a 'Pro' camera, the image MUST be good!!

LOL!!!

I didn't say that at all. If you had read any of my posts you would know that I believe any camera is capable of producing the goods in the right hands. However, I was positing that the 'pro' range of cameras (of any manufacturer) will usually be better built and proof against the elements and long-term use a professional demands. A pro will demand that their camera withstand the use and be reliable in any situation. As I said above, you can get 5 D300s or 1 D3x. If you don't need rugged, do the maths.
21 Aug 2011 9:45PM
this is the Nikon Pro User Equipment list and the D300 and the D300s are on it....
21 Aug 2011 9:49PM
and if you go to the nikon website, and go to products, then it says SLR Pro, click on it, and OH YES.... the D300s is there.... what a shocker, and in reference to your above post.... why do you not think the D300 is not rugged? made of the same stuff as the other pro cameras, and mine even hit the concrete from 3 feet up and it didnt even scratch it, although it must be my pro lens that was on it that took all the impact, as it must be more 'rugged' because it costs 5 times as much as another lens
dathersmith 14 565 12 United Kingdom
21 Aug 2011 9:51PM
Nikon offer a Professional User Scheme and entry is conditional on ownership of at least two pieces of equipment form the Nikon Professional body and lens range, one of which should be a camera body. Please see below for a full list of qualifying products.

and their qualifying bodies are quoted as:

Nikon F6
Nikon D3, D3X, D3S
Nikon D300,D300S, D700

See the Nikon UK Pro website for details.

That's good enough for me, although to be honest it matters not what a body is classified as so long as it does the job I want it for.
21 Aug 2011 9:52PM
jeez folk, calm down calm down... its all good... I want one anyway, just wanted to know opinions of those who have used one i suppose.. O SO IT ISNT A A D3S OR D3X BUT neither is my bank balance!!!!!!!!!!!!

and as at the moment i use a littl nikon d3000, so any upgrade will be good Wink
dathersmith 14 565 12 United Kingdom
21 Aug 2011 9:52PM
Doh, typing too slow again.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.