Panasonic 'Nature' Competition - Win A LUMIX FZ1000 II!

nikon d3200 backscreen displays wrong colors.

cubasevst 4 1
22 Sep 2014 9:24AM
hello all of you,

i recently bought a nikon d3200 because a friend of mine owns a d3100 and since i m a long time nikon user (i got a d90 that was stolen at the madrid airport but fortunatly i kept my lenses home...). the d3200 is a very nice cheap camera but i was surprised by the very poor quality of the pictures displayed in the camera's screen. Once into my laptop, shooting raw format as usual, the quality is quite good for the price i paid but i had to take at least 6 different pics with different settings because i could not use the camera's screen as a reference. I've read a few users opinion about the problem but could not find a solution. Nothing about the problem in the new firmware release from nikon.
Compared with the d3100 screen, the d3200 screen is totally useless.
Any of you have heard about the problem? Do you know any solution to that?

many thanx in advance.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Dave_Canon 13 1.5k United Kingdom
22 Sep 2014 9:35AM
While I do not know anything specific about the D3200, the screen on any DSLR does not display the Raw file but you are only seeing the embedded JPEG which will be much poorer quality. In fact the screen is of limited value anyway as the histogram is also based on this JPEG file so an indication of say overexposure on the screen does not necessarily mean that the Raw file is overexposed. Personally, I only use the screen on my DSLR as a rough guide and rely on my experience to set exposure etc. Back in the days of film we had nothing to view.

Dave
cubasevst 4 1
22 Sep 2014 10:41AM
thank you very much for your quick answer, Dave.
i just worry because i took the same picture using a nikon d3100, exactly same settings, same lens (tamron 18-270), and compared the displays and the difference is huge. pale colours, yellows turn kind of greenish, blacks are greyish and overall pictures look like overexposed which is not true because once transfered in my laptop in RAW, the quality y very good for the price and colors are quite natural.
your information is very interesting, though. i think that my friend shoot in RAW+JPEG at the same time. i ll check tonight.
thanks again.
ElSid 11 9 United Kingdom
9 Oct 2014 3:33PM
Sounds like the brightness of your rear screen is set quite high if the blacks are greyish and it looks overexposed. If you go into the set up options in the menus somewhere there should be an option to adjust the brightness and there you can make it darker.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.