WEX Deal: Free Grip With Panasonic LUMIX G100 Purchase

Nikon D3300 - Three Focus Points Not Lighting Up?

1 Jul 2017 11:50AM
I have noticed that three of the eleven focus points have stopped lighting up. Is this something that occurs through wear, or something that I have done?

I have taken shots with the three focus points that no longer light up and this issue doesn't seem to affect image sharpness. The upper left, upper middle and the the far right points are of issue here.

Would I be able to fix this myself, or would the repair have to been done by a repair centre?

Thank you for all replies.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

banehawi Plus
16 2.2k 4138 Canada
1 Jul 2017 5:24PM
Do you have the AF area mode set to 3D 11 points when this is happening
1 Jul 2017 7:34PM
Thank you for your comment. I never use the 3D mode, so no. I first noticed the issue when I was in AF-S single point mode, I have tried changing into several modes. If I am in AF-S, single point, AF-C, single, dynamic, or 3D. the issue still remains.

Quote:Do you have the AF area mode set to 3D 11 points when this is happening
banehawi Plus
16 2.2k 4138 Canada
1 Jul 2017 10:13PM
AF-S is single shot mode, no tracking. When you have the three visible, can you select any one of the three on its own, in the same usual way used to select a single focus point. When you shoot, either way, does one or all of the three points flash to confirm focus?
2 Jul 2017 11:01AM
I've tried the various modes in AF-C and the three points mentioned don't light up. I can check again, but I am not expecting it to be any different.

Quote:AF-S is single shot mode, no tracking. When you have the three visible, can you select any one of the three on its own, in the same usual way used to select a single focus point. When you shoot, either way, does one or all of the three points flash to confirm focus?
banehawi Plus
16 2.2k 4138 Canada
4 Jul 2017 1:31AM

Hope there will be some Nikon users chipping in here. To me it sounds like a visit to the repair shop. If there is a way to reset the camera and reset all custom settings, try that first.
banehawi Plus
16 2.2k 4138 Canada
4 Jul 2017 1:45AM
Meant to add this:

5 Jul 2017 6:58PM
I will try the reset, then I'll have to consider a repair, or replacement. I will be having a look at repair costs.

Quote:

Hope there will be some Nikon users chipping in here. To me it sounds like a visit to the repair shop. If there is a way to reset the camera and reset all custom settings, try that first.

User_Removed 5 1.0k United Kingdom
7 Jul 2017 9:05AM
Have you phoned Nikon customer support and asked

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.