Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Nikon D3300 not working after soaking

filmforever 13 775
29 Oct 2018 11:39AM

Quote:
Quote:
I'm told the British army had similar problems during sand storms with their (then) new technology SA80 rifles. Some apparently resorted to using captured Kalashnikovs which although more "loosely" manufactured and less accurate, carried on working in the extreme conditions.

One friend fought in Vietnam and told me a similar story but about the Armalite rifles that were standard issue. They were expected to do a daily field-strip and clean and, even then, they had a tendency to jam. Their solution was to "lose" the Armalite if they were able to capture an AK47!

filmforever 13 775
29 Oct 2018 11:50AM
Re. the above. (sorry couldn't get the "add comment" space up with the quote.)

It does seem that so much attention has been given to yet more (often unnecessary) electronic gizmos on cameras that the basic essential quality of reliability has been cast aside.
One curious aspect of my pro digital camera at the time (and admittedly I'm referring to a previous generation of digital gear) was the impossibility of getting reliable auto fill-in flash accuracy in rainy conditions. Colleagues reported similar problems and were never able to fathom out the reason why. This was never a problem with my previous film camera.
altitude50 16 21.4k United Kingdom
29 Oct 2018 12:05PM
Being a fair weather photographer I wouldn't expect any camera apart from a weatherproof sealed type of compact to stand up to a soaking.

There are rain covers of different qualities available at various prices for DSLRs.
camera has recovered5845_1541184725.jpg
Railcam 14 900 2 Scotland
2 Nov 2018 8:31PM
Excellent news. I have been a Nikon user since 1977 and quite a few have got wet when photigraphing car rallies for a magazine. They always dried out OK.

Saying it was raining was no excuse for not getting the shot.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.