Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 3-Months For FREE!

Nikon D7000 focus tracking

Franko59 9 3 2 England
13 Sep 2011 11:52AM
The comments on here have been really helpful, i hadn`t thought of turning the vr off but i will try and see what the difference is. Just to mention one experiment i have been trying and with a fair degree of success, is to use flash (if allowed) at bird flying display. I set the cameras flash sync to FP (which i think stands for focal plane,which allows camera and flash to sync at higher speeds), aperture priority, increase the ISO (800-1000). Even with the higher shutter speeds the the camera and flash sync fine and you get a nice burst of flash to give a lift to the image. Hope this helps.
thatmanbrian 9 342 3 Spain
13 Sep 2011 12:38PM
Flash is OK if it is allowed (would it dazzle the birds?) but it means you only get one shot at it. Unless you have a flash that can recycle as fast as the camera can shoot? I shoot on contious for around 7 frames to ensure I capture something that is fast moving whilst also panning!
Franko59 9 3 2 England
13 Sep 2011 6:18PM
Whilst at the Screech Owl Sanctuary in Cornwall i asked to use flash and they said no problem, as for keeping up with the camera it gave me at least 4 shots, i think because the flash to subject distance was quite short and i do use the fifth battery on the SB800, it did make for some quite nice shots.
LenShepherd 13 4.3k United Kingdom
16 Sep 2011 7:39AM

Quote:one experiment i have been trying and with a fair degree of success, is to use flash (if allowed) at bird flying display.

Extra information can often help resolve a problem
As you are getting better results with flash this very strongly indicates many of your problems are not to do with AF.
In FP mode flash can fire at a sync speed of 1/250 or faster.
The first point about flash is, with a flash exposure time of perhaps 1/10,000, it dramatically reduces subject movement for the flash part of the exposure.
The second point about flash at high sync speeds is it reduces the ambient light part of the exposure - reducing the effect of subject movement during the exposure.
What you are clarifying is when you reduce or eliminate subject movement you get better results Smile
This indicates subject movement and not AF is a common problem.
Digressing as an ex racing cyclist doing photography it is well known among sports photographers when a racing cyclist crosses the line in a sprint finish at 45 mph or faster if you zoom in for a head and shoulder shot the subject speed combined with magnification is too fast to get a movement free image - even at 1/8000 shutter speed with FP flash.
The crop for birds of prey is often similar to head and shoulders of a racing cyclists, and the speed of the bird can reach 30-40 mph.
It is probable no AF system and lens is capable of coping with your subject speed and magnification Sad

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.