Get 5% off Loupedeck CT with code: Ephotozine5

Nikon D80

User_Removed 13 736 4
27 Dec 2008 10:42PM
Looking at the Nikon website, the D80 is found in the 'consumer' section but is stated to be 'semi-professional'. Certainly, the image quality is sufficient to be able to be sold for commercial purposes. And the pixel count is the same as the D200 (with rounding). My first DSLR was the D80 (because of lens incompatibility considerations for the D40) and I ADORED it. I'm now, reluctantly, selling it owing to having bought the D300 (in the pro section of the Nikon website but still referred to as semi-pro as it has a cropped sensor) to do my photography degree. Ultimately, once you get a camera above a certain capability, it's all down to the photographer. My shots on my new D300 are considerably worse than a fellow camera club member's taken on her D40 - it's down to her superior skill. You pays your money, you takes your choc ice. (Barry Norman quote!)
mroch06 12 4 United Kingdom
4 Jan 2009 11:59PM

Quote:Quote:What is the HDR get around? Its not really how many exposures that matter, just covering all the dynamic range, 90% of the time 3 shots is sufficient, 2 stops apart.

But the work around is as follows. Ensure its on the tripod very secure. Put in aperture priority. Dial in -3 stops, then do a 2 stop bracket. As carefully as possible (making sure not to nudge the tripod) dial in +3 the do a +/- 2 stop bracket. (just make sure you dont exceed the 30 second max). you should then have 6 images 2 stops apart i.e +/-5 stops.

The key to HDR (in my opinion) is to get as "real" as possible, just play with the settings - most of the problems you see with HDR are caused by the light smoothing settings too low, I rarely move it from +2, even when I do its only for a part of the image that I will either blend with one of the originals, or a seperate HDR conversion. Also watch the micro contrast setting. Still not all subjects are suitable, landscapes are very hit and miss, particularly if theres a lot of movement or a lot of green.

HTH

Nick

Quote:Quote:What is the HDR get around? Its not really how many exposures that matter, just covering all the dynamic range, 90% of the time 3 shots is sufficient, 2 stops apart.

But the work around is as follows. Ensure its on the tripod very secure. Put in aperture priority. Dial in -3 stops, then do a 2 stop bracket. As carefully as possible (making sure not to nudge the tripod) dial in +3 the do a +/- 2 stop bracket. (just make sure you dont exceed the 30 second max). you should then have 6 images 2 stops apart i.e +/-5 stops.

The key to HDR (in my opinion) is to get as "real" as possible, just play with the settings - most of the problems you see with HDR are caused by the light smoothing settings too low, I rarely move it from +2, even when I do its only for a part of the image that I will either blend with one of the originals, or a seperate HDR conversion. Also watch the micro contrast setting. Still not all subjects are suitable, landscapes are very hit and miss, particularly if theres a lot of movement or a lot of green.

HTH

Nick

Thanks Nick, much appreciated
5 Jan 2009 7:58AM
bobsy - had my D80 nearly 2 years now and never had a problem with dust on the sensor, despite many lens changes
Strobe 13 1.3k United States
5 Jan 2009 5:31PM

Quote:Bobsy - had my D80 nearly 2 years now and never had a problem with dust on the sensor, despite many lens changes

You are lucky, I have had so many issues with dust on the sensor of my D80. I do everything by the book when it comes to changing lenses cleaning etc, but those spots just keep coming back......
wasper 14 533 1 Ireland
5 Jan 2009 6:37PM

Quote:Quote:Bobsy - had my D80 nearly 2 years now and never had a problem with dust on the sensor, despite many lens changesYou are lucky, I have had so many issues with dust on the sensor of my D80. I do everything by the book when it comes to changing lenses cleaning etc, but those spots just keep coming back......

Ditto

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.