Save up to 360 on selected ZEISS lenses!

Nikon D850 Focus Mode Selector Switch Question/Concern.

Rogi 1 5 Canada
29 Nov 2018 10:03PM
I've recently made a big jump in cameras, from the Nikon D5500 to the Nikon D850 (a huge gift by family/friends and some fellow photographers) and with this comes a lot of hours reading the manual so I know exactly what and how to operate the camera. I took a look at one of the new buttons that is different between the two models, the Focus Mode Selector Switch (listed in the D850's manual under Page 111 and present on many other models D7000 series etc.)
Within the manual it states not to use AF lenses (the older ones) and the camera body in different settings (the example given is not to set the lens in M and the camera to AF) as it could damage both, but it omits which one to change first.
My questions for our members is:
1. Should I set the focus mode selector switch on the camera first and then the switch from the lens ie if both are on AF and I switch the camera body first to M and then the lens?
2. When switching back from M should I then switch the lens first and then the camera body?
3. Just turn the camera off and then switch which ever you prefer until both are in the same mode.
4. The order doesn't matter as long as the camera isn't focusing during this time.

I don't want to damage the camera or a lens and wanted to make sure before hand Smile as I know there are a lot of Nikon members that might have the answer to my questions thank you all for your help.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Jestertheclown 11 8.0k 252 England
30 Nov 2018 5:54AM
I just switch them as I see fit; ie. no particular order. It had never occured to me that there might be a specific way of doing it.
I don't turm the camera off while I'm doing it either.
In fact, if the switch on the lens gets moved while you're carrying it and you need to put it back, you don't get a choice.
As for switching anything, one way or the other while it's actuallly focusing; I'd say that's highly unlikely to happen.
I'm currently using D7200 but I've done it thus with my other and all previous DSLRs
sausage Plus
15 609 United Kingdom
30 Nov 2018 8:49AM
Well I have a D850 and have thought of that. I just use the two together. I have never changed the lens AF to manual, I always turn off AF via the AF/M switch on the front of the camera if I want manual focus..
LenShepherd 11 4.1k United Kingdom
30 Nov 2018 10:15AM

Quote:
Within the manual it states not to use AF lenses (the older ones) and the camera body in different settings (the example given is not to set the lens in M and the camera to AF) as it could damage both, but it omits which one to change first.

What Nikon are telling you about is that the focus of older screwdriver AF lens is driven by a motor in the camera body.
If the body is set for AF and a screwdriver AF lens is set to manual focus when you attempt to use auto focus damage can occur.
It does not matter which setting order to use on the lens and camera - as long as they are both the same when you try to auto focus.
30 Nov 2018 6:49PM
logically (electronically) it does not matter which order you do things on the lens or the body, they have the same effect.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.