Exclusive ePHOTOzine offer - 20% off Mistubishi CP-M15E Bundle!

Nikon D90 as a backup.....or........

stuvine 14 63 United Kingdom
26 Jul 2010 12:28PM
I'm looking for a camera to backup my D300 and have been considering buying a new D90, but i've had a bit nose on ebay and for the same money I can buy a used D2x, possibly a D2xs.
what are your thoughts on this? A brand new body, or a 2nd hand older, used one? I know the D2x is full frame, and that's cool as all the lenses I own will work on full frame I don't have and "cropped sensor" only lenses.

I'm in a pickle on this one!
Stu
cameracat 16 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
26 Jul 2010 12:45PM
If you think the D2X or the D2Xs are full frame......Your gonna be sorely disappointed......Sad

For if they where, They would be making considerably more than a D90, New or used on Ebay.......Grin

The D90 as a back up to a D300 is a good match in terms of image quality and ISO performance.

Sorry to say that the early D2X & s models, Splendid though they are, Just don't have the same " Sensor technology " Hence ISO performance whilst good, Is not in the same class as the D300/D300s/D90 or even the D5000 .......Wink

If its just a back up body, Its a straight fight between the D90 or the D5000.........Or another D300.
26 Jul 2010 1:03PM
Further to my previous comments.

Take a look at the EPZ classifieds......Grin

There are 2 x D90 cameras with lens and one D300s for sale.........Smile

All at much better prices than your are likely to find on Ebay, Quite a lot better actualy, Having just done a quick tour......Grin

I'd take a long hard look at the D300s........Thats a wickedly good price.......Wink
26 Jul 2010 1:12PM
The D300s is very tempting........
Wife will kill me!
26 Jul 2010 1:25PM
Anyone have any working knowledge of the Fuji FinePix IS Pro?
26 Jul 2010 1:40PM
Just a bit extra Stu.....Smile

As a matter of interest, I had a nose at the D2X and D2Xs models selling on " Fleabay " ......Grin

Whilst I'm sure one or two of them are quite genuine.....Smile

There are several on sale by auction, That I would not touch with several barge poles.....Sad

One particular individual claims, He no longer needs his D2X since buying a D3X.......Seems fair enough, But he then goes on to say there is NO battery with it.....Sad

But this is the best bit....He claims to have no idea of how many shutter actuations the camera has done, Because he has no battery for it......LOL.....Smile

Now the fact that the D3X and D2X use the exact same battery, Might have escaped his notice.....Sad But I doubt it.....!!!!!!!!! Coz! if your using that type of camera in the first place, Your bound to be a little more clued up than that......!!!

So basically, He is a total ****, Trying to unload a very high mileage D2X on any unsuspecting punter, Who might consider that 90 od quid for a battery is a cheap camera..Etc etc.

No, As far as Ebay goes, Its buyer beware, Do your research very thouroughly, Know your subject well, And avoid scammers who just keep moving rubbish from one place to another, Whilst stupidly trying to make a fast buck.

Wink
26 Jul 2010 1:55PM
One particular individual claims, He no longer needs his D2X since buying a D3X.......Seems fair enough, But he then goes on to say there is NO battery with it.....

But this is the best bit....He claims to have no idea of how many shutter actuations the camera has done, Because he has no battery for it......LOL.....

Yeah i'd seen that one........had exactly the same thoughts as you!

Thinking I may actually look at biting the bullet and buying a new D90, or even trying to scrape together some cash for a new D300s......now where's my accountant(wife).

Stu
MikeRC 15 3.6k United Kingdom
26 Jul 2010 6:40PM

Quote:Wife will kill me!

....'yea.....but you'd die for a good cause.
....Mike
Snapper 15 4.5k 3 United States Outlying Islands
26 Jul 2010 6:46PM

Quote:
Wife will kill me!

No, no, no, she'll only divorce you for unreasonable behaviour and make sure she has your camera gear as part of the settlement. Wink
26 Jul 2010 7:33PM

Quote:Wife will kill me!

No, no, no, she'll only divorce you for unreasonable behaviour and make sure she has your camera gear as part of the settlement. Wink

Hmmm........not a good outcome then!
Unless I just tell her it's a D90 and hope she never looks.............at the camera or the credit card bill.................that aint gonna happen!
Back to the drawing board!
Picola 10 15 United Kingdom
26 Jul 2010 8:00PM
I bought a D80 from an x pro who claimed his friend won it in a raffle but I was to find that it was an old one he used.

Can someone tell me, how do you know how many pictures your camera has taken?
I should have guessed when he was trying to convince me that I should check the serial numbers and the number on the box was different to the number on the lens.

And he made some excuse as to the guy mixing up boxes. If he won the thing on the raffle, why would he have other boxes seeing as he was not a photographer and hence the reason for selling it. He didn't know how to use it.

I am going to get a brand new D90 soon as anything higher is just way too expensive for accessories and lenses.
My lenses for the D80 will fit the D90, I am led to believe? Along with the the polorisers and such, so I don't want to change camera totally.
I like wildlife photography but basically just a newbie to it all. So how can you tell how many pics the camera has taken?
BigRick 15 2.1k 3 United Kingdom
26 Jul 2010 9:56PM

Quote:I bought a D80 from an x pro who claimed his friend won it in a raffle but I was to find that it was an old one he used.

Can someone tell me, how do you know how many pictures your camera has taken?
I should have guessed when he was trying to convince me that I should check the serial numbers and the number on the box was different to the number on the lens.

And he made some excuse as to the guy mixing up boxes. If he won the thing on the raffle, why would he have other boxes seeing as he was not a photographer and hence the reason for selling it. He didn't know how to use it.

I am going to get a brand new D90 soon as anything higher is just way too expensive for accessories and lenses.
My lenses for the D80 will fit the D90, I am led to believe? Along with the the polorisers and such, so I don't want to change camera totally.
I like wildlife photography but basically just a newbie to it all. So how can you tell how many pics the camera has taken?

Yes they will, they will also fit the D300 and D300s etc....

And to see how many pictures your camera has taken, you need a program that can look at the Exif data in a picture (i.e. the last picture you took)
peterjones 18 5.1k 1 United Kingdom
26 Jul 2010 10:52PM
Just bought a D90 along with an 18/55 VR lens and the quality of the output is tremendous even acceptable up to 1250 ISO; it is a very light camera easy to take anywhere and along with my 70/300VR it is a very light accessible bit of kit.

As a wedding photographer the D90 would be very capable for weddings except for situations when very high ISO settings are needed.
MikeRC 15 3.6k United Kingdom
27 Jul 2010 1:43PM

Quote:I am going to get a brand new D90 soon

I upgraded from a D80 to a D90 and I am highly delighted....much better

Quote:along with my 70/300VR it is a very light accessible bit of kit.

My puffin shots were taken with this combi. and they are without doubt the best shots I have ever taken.

.....even got a HC for one of them Smile

.....Mike
Dman 11 57
31 Jul 2010 9:28PM

Quote:Just a bit extra Stu.....Smile

As a matter of interest, I had a nose at the D2X and D2Xs models selling on " Fleabay " ......Grin

Whilst I'm sure one or two of them are quite genuine.....Smile

There are several on sale by auction, That I would not touch with several barge poles.....Sad

One particular individual claims, He no longer needs his D2X since buying a D3X.......Seems fair enough, But he then goes on to say there is NO battery with it.....Sad

But this is the best bit....He claims to have no idea of how many shutter actuations the camera has done, Because he has no battery for it......LOL.....Smile

Now the fact that the D3X and D2X use the exact same battery, Might have escaped his notice.....Sad But I doubt it.....!!!!!!!!! Coz! if your using that type of camera in the first place, Your bound to be a little more clued up than that......!!!

So basically, He is a total ****, Trying to unload a very high mileage D2X on any unsuspecting punter, Who might consider that 90 od quid for a battery is a cheap camera..Etc etc.

No, As far as Ebay goes, Its buyer beware, Do your research very thouroughly, Know your subject well, And avoid scammers who just keep moving rubbish from one place to another, Whilst stupidly trying to make a fast buck.

Wink

But he only says he's buying one, not that he's bought one, so he wouldn't have the battery in his possession anyway.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.