Don't Miss Out On Top-Selling Deals From Park Cameras - Find Out More

Nikon lens choice - advice needed!

Elwin 13 2
1 Mar 2007 4:21PM
This is a vote for the Sigma 10-20.I have one, it's wonderful. Just right for your Big Sky shots!
Emlyn

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Sigma 10-20 and the Nikkor 50 f1.8
Go buy 'em
Duncan_E 13 201 3 United Kingdom
1 Mar 2007 9:38PM
The Nikkor 50mm f/1.8 gets my vote for a portrait lens, particularly in lower light levels.
User_Removed 15 825 Lithuania
2 Mar 2007 4:21AM
you could pick up an old Nikkor Ais 50mm f1.8 really cheap!.. better put together IMO!... obviously no auto focus though but not a problem really!?!... sorry you suffered the EPZ Hyeenas so soon into your membership!...enjoy your trip and show us the picks!!... Wink
Vee_Enn 15 100 England
2 Mar 2007 11:48AM
Good luck with the cycling.

Have you considered the Nikon 18-135 F3.5-5.6 G IF ED DX at 250 new?

It's a flexible 'walk about' lens, wide enough for landscapes but with sufficient zoom (7 and a bit times) to get the close ups without changing lenses.

It's sharp and well built.

Itis the kit lens for the D80 and I find it very useful

Regards
Vince
5 Mar 2007 7:36AM
What about a second camera ?? you really dont want to be without a camera halfway to no where! I would suggest a little snappy like the all weather water proof olympus.

yes I would vote for the 10-20 sigma and the 50mm or 35mm prime. if you are getting rid of the 70-300 then may I suggest a 200 prime as well. But wouldnt that be too many lenses.. I dont have any of them lenses just thinking for your situation and what you like to take.

I have the 12-24 and the 18-200vr. If I was doing what you were doing that is what I would take... and I would get the olympus for the all weather situation and hang that around my neck while I cycle !!

Good luck with that trip.. sounds like an excellent adventure..
djpeanut 13 13
5 Mar 2007 11:39AM
Thanks for all the advice! The 50mm f1.8 looks like a brilliant lens and great value as well. I will almost definitely go for that and the 10-20mm Sigma.

My next question is regarding charging the camera on the road using solar power, but I'll start a new thread for that elsewhere!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.