Amazon Music Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Nikon or Canon?

Dave_Canon 14 1.9k United Kingdom
3 Jan 2021 2:12PM
This does not change the fact that the camera market place is tough for everyone. Nikon is more exposed than most because the imaging part of the company is a large part of their business when compared to canon or Sony. Nikon is rebuilding their business to cope with the market shrinkage and have possibly moved too slowly on ML. I have not suggested that Nikon will be bankrupt which is what you seem to keep implying by references to the balance sheet. We shall see in the next 12 months what decisions Nikon take for their future. I have no personal axe to grind as I never owned a Nikon camera (my wife does) and having bought into Sony ML, I am not likely to change system again in my lifetime.

Dave
saltireblue Plus
10 11.6k 72 Norway
3 Jan 2021 2:38PM

Quote:...due to car phones...

Quote:With current high end car phones able to produce (just) good A3 prints,

I wasn't aware that car phones had made a comeback, let alone could print images...Wink
LenShepherd 12 4.3k United Kingdom
4 Jan 2021 8:51AM

Quote:This does not change the fact that the camera market place is tough for everyone.
Dave

Agreed - perhaps you overlook Nikon's camera market has been brought down to 40% of turnover.
Whether any of the other 3 big groups with camera divisions decide the camera market is not worth retaining in their portfolio and to "bail out", as Olympus has done, Samsung did, and Panasonic appears to have so far withdrawn from the DX market will be relevant remains to be seen over the next 2-3 years.

Nikon with currently around 40% turnover in the camera division has for 2 years been moving to higher price higher margin camera products.
Some customers may not be happy with the performance/price factor upward movement Nikon and Canon are following - but that is the way the cookie crumbles for the next 2-3 years.
hobbs Plus
16 1.3k Japan
4 Jan 2021 5:23PM

Quote:
Quote:This does not change the fact that the camera market place is tough for everyone.
Dave

Agreed - perhaps you overlook Nikon's camera market has been brought down to 40% of turnover.
Whether any of the other 3 big groups with camera divisions decide the camera market is not worth retaining in their portfolio and to "bail out", as Olympus has done, Samsung did, and Panasonic appears to have so far withdrawn from the DX market will be relevant remains to be seen over the next 2-3 years.

Nikon with currently around 40% turnover in the camera division has for 2 years been moving to higher price higher margin camera products.
Some customers may not be happy with the performance/price factor upward movement Nikon and Canon are following - but that is the way the cookie crumbles for the next 2-3 years.

It makes complete sense as you have mentioned with the improvement of the cameras on phones the market for DSLR's has decreased especially at the low end. Those same mobile phones have been significantly increasing in price and the camera companies are seeing the profits companies like Apple are making by concentrating on product quality and not chasing the price down.
6 Jan 2021 5:15PM
my first move from a basic point and shoot was lower end Nikon bridge camera but found the lowlight performance was disappointing so bought a 2nd hand Olympus E420 which was a great little DSLR . Since then have used several makes and styles.
Olympus epl1- loved the quality of shots straight out of camera.
Olympus epl5- Again great out of camera shots.
Canon 550d - great camera eventually developed shutter problem (was heavily used and abused when I got it.
Canon M - great for chucking in my cycling back pack, Solid metal build, still got this one.
Fugi - Mx1 - stylish retro looks although a bit plasticy but fantastic IQ and low light performance.
Canon 100d - very capable camera, sold this to get a weather sealed system.
Canon 7d - couldn't get on with it to large and for me the 100d was giving me consistently better results with
the lenses I had, don't know why as I've seen stunning shots from other users.
Olympus OMD e m1 - this is my current camera, weather sealed with great ergonomics and everything in the
right place for me, still learning to get best out of it.
Olympus OMD e m10- goes in my coat pocket with small Panasonic pancake zoom, nostalgia as my film
camera back in the day was an om10.

All these cameras were purchased second hand but the main thing I've found they all take a pretty Damn good picture no matter the brand, I've been blown away by images posed on this site from all the main brands, Ive seen super sharp detailed bird shots from cameras that you wouldn't see in mentioned in any birding advice.
I've seen landscapes as pleasing to the eye from compacts through to top end DSLR's. The key thing is get to know your camera and how to work round any of its weaknesses and have a play with post processing even Windows basic photo prog allows you to enhance or correct your pics.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.