Nikon Repair Centre - Feedback?

mre 9 1 Scotland
5 Aug 2010 2:36PM
I found this thread when wondering about other people's experience of AJ Johnstone in Glasgow and I've registered just to help others who may be considering sending their equipment there.

Don't.

Like the OP I live in Edinburgh and I've just had to waste a morning travelling to Glasgow to pick up my unrepaired lens because they're unable to figure out how to post it.

I was initially promised turn-around in a week. When I rang after a week to enquire how they were getting on it transpired that they had ignored my go-ahead on the repair and said it might take 3-4 weeks. My initial letter to them had made it clear when I needed the lens back but they simply ignored this too. Judging by the spelling mistakes and appalling use of English in their correspondence I wonder if they have difficulties with basic comprehension. Not a good sign from a shop supposedly dealing with precise stuff like repairs. I asked them on Monday to return the lens unrepaired but on Thursday I ascertained that it was still in Glasgow so I had to go and pick it up myself. No way could I trust them to send it back for me to get it next day for when I needed it.

These people have absolutely no comprehension of what is meant by "providing a service" and I urge anyone to avoid them with a wide berth. They are quite obviously suffering from a lack of regional competition and don't consider it necessary to make any effort. A bunch of clowns could do better. I consider myself lucky that the lens only needed a minor repair so I'll get away with using it again this weekend. I think I'll be trying Fixation next.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

JohnAC 13 1 United Kingdom
21 Oct 2010 2:42PM
Sent my Canon 5D for sensor clean to AJ Johnstone in Glasgow,came back worse than it was before I sent it in! Had to resend and I was over a month without a camera....for a next day service!!
Don't use them anymore!

Had a repair done by Fixation,new zoom band on 100-400mm lens,no problems and took about a fortnight.

Just sent 100-400mm to Fixation again as IS not working now,accepted estimate, waiting for repair and return.
8 Apr 2019 7:42PM
AJ Johnstone in Glasgow - April 2019
Service, quality of repairs and attitude is appalling. They charged for a repair but the problem isn't fixed. Have gone back several times. Customer before me had exactly the same issue of having to return the camera as the repair wasn't done properly.
Would absolutely avoid.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.