Nikon sensor cleaning

nickyv32 Plus
13 135 England
1 Feb 2010 9:35AM
Any ideas where the best place is for sensor cleaning for my Nikon D40x ?
Thanks
Nicky
cats_123 Plus
16 5.0k 30 Northern Ireland
1 Feb 2010 10:29AM
Don't know whether this is any use to you

sensor cleaning
cameracat 16 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
1 Feb 2010 2:51PM
Have a look at any independant camera shops in your area, Many offer a while you wait service.

That said check out what they charge for sensor cleaning.

Suprisingly I have found that sending the camera to Nikon for this, Came out cheaper than anyone else, Including the obvious postage costs.

That said a once a year trip to Nikon for service & cleaning for a busy camera, Is not such a big deal in the great scheme of things.

Its a bit like having your car serviced, If you want to keep it reliable.

Wink
mbharris 12 32 United Kingdom
1 Feb 2010 5:30PM
My last sensor clean was done by 'Fixation'. They proved to be cheaper and quicker than my experience with Nikon. Camera returned in 5 working days.
BigRick 15 2.1k 3 United Kingdom
1 Feb 2010 7:06PM
I went to Comley Cameras in Cleethorpes to buy my d300s, and they cleaned the sensor on my d80 (it looked like it had been shot blasted lol) for 10, then showed me it under the magnifying glass, and it was SPOTLESS. Took them about 10 mins while i waited.
Outlander 11 91
3 Feb 2010 8:56AM
Why not give it a go and do it yourself,its dead easy and as long as you are not completely ham fisted things will be ok.
if you do not trust youself do do a wet clean with something like Sensor Swab try one of the aerosols to vacuum the dust up,but stay away from the blowers as you are just moving the dust around the chamber,you might get lucky and blow it out but chances are you will just move it to another spot.
Scutter Plus
12 1.7k 6 United Kingdom
3 Feb 2010 5:38PM
It really is worth considering doing it yourself, its not much more technical than cleaning a pair of spectacles Smile You will need some Eclipse cleaning liquid and some swabs and you are away!

I haven't tried a aerosol vacuum I just chase it round with a blower I'm afraid! I have avoided the temptation to use the Dyson though!! Wink
12 Feb 2010 2:45PM
I have learned to clean my camera sensor myself. I Bought a good cleaning oufit on-line. It's just a matter of looking up in the manual what is required to done, work light fingered and take plenty of time. Much less expensive really, can be done at home instead of travelling or sending the camera away and having to wait for it's return. A tip - always make sure the rear element of the lens that is going to be attached is clean.
rikewoo 17 347 1 United Kingdom
12 Feb 2010 5:10PM
If you only need to get rid of dust on the sensor, here is what I do with my D40x.

Switch camera on, go to menu Tools, select mirror lock up, press the shutter button. This holds the mirror open until you press the button again. Next remove the lens, holding the camera face down, use a good blower brush and operate a few times. Replace lens, press shutter button and then check if sensor is clean by taking a photo of a light subject, enlarging on PC and see if the dust has been removed.

Hope this helps.
Ken
mick094m 13 26 United Kingdom
17 Sep 2010 8:06AM
Calumet Photshops do Sensor Cleaning for 35 vat included
BigRick 15 2.1k 3 United Kingdom
17 Sep 2010 7:23PM

Quote:Calumet Photshops do Sensor Cleaning for 35 vat included

probably had it cleaned now it is 7 months later. Wink
matyjasz 11 20 United Kingdom
4 Oct 2010 6:43PM

Quote:Calumet Photshops do Sensor Cleaning for 35 vat included

probably had it cleaned now it is 7 months later. Wink

+1
D80 from Portugal, lenses changed on beach, very windy and wet - they did great job, my poor thing is like new now. Only problem is it took a week

br
Mac
Picola 10 15 United Kingdom
12 Nov 2010 9:08PM
I decided to clean the camera myself for once and bought Dust Aid swabs and all the essentials. Selling a kit for a good price so I took it.
Tried it on an old camera first and it wasvery easy to do.
So long as you use the proper cleaning materials, there's really nothing to it.
And saves the trip to a camera shop or waitng around for it to be done. Only shop I knew nearby that done it always tells you to come back in 3 hours. And cost nearly 40.00.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.