Don't Miss Out On Top-Selling Deals From Park Cameras - Find Out More

Nikon Wide Angle

B_Real 14 126 United Kingdom
3 Dec 2009 12:38PM
Hi - does anyone have any anecdotal evidence of picking up something like a Nikon 10-24mm, Nikon 12-24mm (or any other similar quality wideangles) from either Kuala Lumpur or Singapore for a good price (sub 500 for the Nikons).

Have a friend going there on holiday, and wondering what kinds of prices I can get a decent wide angle for if he goes into the stores / markets (compared to buying online and shipping across from Hong Kong etc).

Cheers
Brad

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

User_Removed 16 17.9k 8 Norway
3 Dec 2009 1:19PM
It's rare occasion where I will punt Ken Rockwell but try his four-lens Review here - based around the Nikon 12-24mm.

I have the Tokina and use it around 80% of the time.
3 Dec 2009 1:32PM

Quote:It's rare occasion where I will punt Ken Rockwell but try his four-lens Review here - based around the Nikon 12-24mm.

I have the Tokina and use it around 80% of the time.

Which one, the 11-16mm or the 12-24mm?

Big Ken reckons the 11-16 outperforms the lot, but last time I used a 12-24 I found the 16+ range pretty useful. Tokina 12-24mm looks good value.

Anyone know if the strength of the v sing/kl currency means physically being there and picking up a deal isn't as good as what it used to be? Or are prices lowered accordingly...
3 Dec 2009 1:32PM
LATE EDIT: Would love to get the Tokina 11-16mm but not to be I'm afraid...

Sad

Wink

EDIT on an EDIT!!

(We both posted at a similar time Grin) As I said - I would love to get the 11-16mm. Wink

A currency converter on tourists rates (nearer the time) is the best bet I feel.
3 Dec 2009 1:43PM
Yeah the 11-16 looks good, but so does the Nikon 10-24mm.

Currency converter point noted. Also after a feel for whether poor exchange rates are absorbed in stronger bartering power.

Unfortunately, my mate who's going has no idea about lenses, so its a case of giving him a bit of paper with exact spec an absolute max price I'm prepared to pay.

E.g quick search reveals I can get the Tokina 12-24mm for around 330 online. Could this get knocked down to say 200 in a physical store out there? 100???
3 Dec 2009 1:47PM
No idea... Sad

Make your lens choice. Give him the money - and set a max limit. All you can do...
LenShepherd 12 4.1k United Kingdom
3 Dec 2009 10:14PM

Quote:
Make your lens choice. Give him the money - and set a max limit. All you can do...

Who is going to pay the 23.5% tax (back to 26% on first Jan) due when your friend gets back to the UK?
4 Dec 2009 10:49AM

Quote:Quote:
Make your lens choice. Give him the money - and set a max limit. All you can do...Who is going to pay the 23.5% tax (back to 26% on first Jan) due when your friend gets back to the UK?

No one. He takes it out the box and throws away the packaging, and shoves it in his baggage. No one needs to know he bought it over there.

I'm probably leaning towards the Tokina 12-24mm anyway, if he gets it for 150 then 25% odd tax on that is neither here nor there.
LenShepherd 12 4.1k United Kingdom
4 Dec 2009 9:17PM

Quote:Quote:Quote:
No one. He takes it out the box and throws away the packaging, and shoves it in his baggage. No one needs to know he bought it over there.

That is a criminal offence. by you and by your friend.
Digressing the Nikon 10-24 is well below 500 if you first buy certain bodies at Nikon Pro dealers.
They are not allowed to advertise the cash backs outside the shop, but in November it was almost 300 on a 10-24.
SuziBlue 17 16.2k 10 Scotland
4 Dec 2009 10:57PM

Quote:Who is going to pay the 23.5% tax (back to 26% on first Jan) due when your friend gets back to the UK?

I'm probably leaning towards the Tokina 12-24mm anyway, if he gets it for 150 then 25% odd tax on that is neither here nor there.

And when they ask him what it is and he says it's a lens but knows nothing more about it ...?

I've been stopped coming in. They wanted to know if the equipment was mine and it was clear from what I said that it was and that I knew how my photographic equipment worked - i.e. I wasn't smuggling it. Don't hold out much hope for your friend who knows nothing about photography ..

Why should he take the rap ..?
sherring 12 46 13 United Kingdom
5 Dec 2009 6:44PM
If they really want to they will check the serial and that will soon tell them that no duty has been paid on it.
uggyy 14 2.1k 9 Scotland
5 Dec 2009 7:38PM
Out of curiosity if you buy a lens 2nd hand (as in genuine 2nd hand and not just an excuse for it) in another country and bring it back, do you still need to pay duty?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.