WEX Offer: Save 50 On The Olympus OM-D E-M1X

Nikon z50 vs Nikon d7500

digicammad 17 22.0k 39 United Kingdom
7 Oct 2020 2:22PM
Afternoon

I'm currently shooting with a D7000, now 10 years old and showing some signs of age. Not surprising really, the amount of adventures it has had. I'm considering treating myself to a new camera and would like to hear from people who have made a similar move.

I have three options:
- keep my existing lenses (10-20, 60 macro and 18-200) and go for a D7500
- keep my existing lenses and go for a z50 with the ftz adaptor
- go for the z50 with the 16-50 and 50-250 lenses made for it

I like the idea of the mirrorless but see a couple of major downsides:

- battery life doesn't seem to be as good as the DSLR (my 7000 will shoot for up to a week between charges, probably 1,000 shots)
- the lenses supplied don't give me the macro capability, so I would need the adaptor or a new lens

So, any real world experiences? How is the battery life on the z50 and how good is the adaptor with F mount lenses?

Thanks

Ian
Jestertheclown 12 8.3k 253 England
8 Oct 2020 8:45AM
I've recently migrated from a D7200 (via a D90 then a D7000) to a Z7.
My plan was to use an FTZ with f mount lenses for the time being and acquire "proper" Z lenses over time.
This plan was hatched purely because of the prohibitive prices of Z mount lenses and the lack of choices.
In real ife, however, I'm finding that I'm getting spectacular results with this, supposedly inferior set up.
Now, in fairness, I admit that I've yet to directly compare shots taken with what I'm using, compared to Z mount equivalents but given that "proper" lenses are twice the price, I have to ask myself "would my images be twice as good if I was using them?"
If I was shooting professionally, then perhaps the cost might be justified but as it stands, the answer's a resounding "No."
At some point, I'm going to rent a Z mount 24-70 f2.8; since that's the one I use most and see how it compares to my Tamron.
If I'm sufficiently impressed, I might even buy a used one but I'm in no rush.
8 Oct 2020 8:58AM
Thanks. My budget doesn't run to the Z7, only the Z50. How do you find the battery life?
8 Oct 2020 9:21AM

Quote:My budget doesn't run to the Z7, only the Z50.

I think the bit about the lenses would still apply though.

Quote:How do you find the battery life?

Pretty dismal by comparison to my DSLRs.
I spent the first couple of weeks attempting to learn how the thing worked (!) so lots of indoor stuff, pictures of the dog and cats etc. but also loads of looking at the images and trawling through the menus.
That returned no more than a couple of hundred shots, if I was lucky.
My best result so far, on a single battery, was the other Saturday when I visited the RAF Museum at Hendon. I managed just over 480 shots. That's 14 bit raw, compressed.
That was achieved by simply taking each shot and forgetting about it. No checking the display or fiddling with menus.
I was also using an SB400; not sure if that should make a difference.
LenShepherd 12 4.2k United Kingdom
8 Oct 2020 9:33AM
You seem firmly established based on your profile with DX bodies and DX lenses and 2 FX lenses including a 70-200.

The pictures in your portfolio are very good.

As you are looking at a recently launched D50 I presume you are looking at new prices..

If you want to consider going FX with the Z6 II and Z7II due very soon a second hand Z6 or 7 body from a source giving a warranty may become plentiful soon.

Using your DX lenses on a Z6 gives you less MP than you get with your current equipment - or similar MP with a Z7.

The Z50 2 lens kit has a lot going for it at 1,099 - and you could sell your 18-200 to help fund the cost.
A second hand FTZ for your 60mm and 70-200 F lenses should cost less than 200.

Do you live near enough to a retailer with Nikon stock to try a Z body?

The current Z6 and 7 are not ideal for fast action photography - which from your portfolio you seem not to do.
8 Oct 2020 11:03AM
Thanks Jester, that ties in with what I have read about battery life.

Len, thanks for the analysis. You are correct that I do not do much action photography, however I do some (just not on ePhotozine) and I don't want to lose that option.

I do quite a lot of macro and also use my 60mm prime for studio work, so that is a lens I would have to accommodate or replace with any new camera. I also use the 18-200 a lot, as a general workhorse. I don't have the 70-200 any longer, it was stolen and never replaced (forgot to update my profile).

I must admit, having looked at the pros and cons, I am veering towards the D7500. I think it fits my needs better in terms of making best use of my lenses and budget. I love the battery life on my D7000 and that is the second biggest con I see in the mirrorless option. I just didn't want to invest without getting some input from people who have made the change to mirrorless, in case I was missing a trick. The size of the DSLR isn't an issue for me.

The D7500 replacement looks to have been delayed, there have been rumours of a D7600 since last year. I don't know whether I want to wait long on the off chance one comes out.

Thanks both.

Ian
LenShepherd 12 4.2k United Kingdom
8 Oct 2020 11:23AM
To use your 60mm on ML an FTZ is essential - adding to the cost for you of going ML.

If you do not use www.camerapricebuster.co.uk it is a good resource for the best prices on Nikon in general - including the D7500.

I presume you have done your homework on lens compatibility with the D7500.
It seems not to have a screwdriver AF motor - and the Nikon specification does not mention dof preview.
Railcam 14 862 2 Scotland
8 Oct 2020 12:03PM
Sorry Len but the D7500 does appear to have the screwdriver motor for use with AF-D nikkior lenses.
8 Oct 2020 1:16PM

Quote:I am veering towards the D7500.

I can understand that.
I went the mirrorless route because I found myself in a position to move up to something significantly more capable.
I very nearly bought a Sony. I only changed my mind when I read about their sensor mount issues but had I been looking for another DX body, the D7500 would have been the obvious choice.
8 Oct 2020 1:48PM
If I had the money to go for the z6 or z7 it may make a difference, but the z50 doesn't really look much more capable than the D7500 and it looks like there would be too many compromises.

I have found the D7500 brand new, on a site called e-infin.com, for abpout 650. They get good reviews on TrustPilot and I know from professional experience how difficult it is to obtain and retain a good ranking on there.

Of course, if anybody knows different, I'm all ears. Grin
8 Oct 2020 2:53PM

Quote:I have found the D7500 brand new, on a site called e-infin.com, for abpout 650

I came close to buying from them when I got my Z7 (although, at that time I was going for a Sony).
I only decided against it because of this Covid nonsense, at the time, the shops were closed and there was some uncertainty that I might end up waiting for it forever.
In the event, the shops reopened a few days before I was ready to take the plunge so, as soon as I had the readies, I went to Park Cameras and bought everything over the counter but had everything been functioning properly, I'd have had no hesitation in using them.
There was a thread running on here a little while ago; naturally, I can't find it, about E-infinity in which a highly respected (!) member bought a camera from them. It al went well apparently.
8 Oct 2020 4:15PM
Thanks again.
9 Oct 2020 1:01PM

Quote:If I had the money to go for the z6 or z7 it may make a difference, but the z50 doesn't really look much more capable than the D7500 and it looks like there would be too many compromises.

Could you please take a look at Nikon Z5 too? It is costlier than the Z50, but cheaper than the Z6. I have not used the Z5 personally [or, for that matter, any other DSLR/ Mirrorless camera], but I have seen many a review that spoke highly of the Z5. Thanks.
9 Oct 2020 1:57PM
Thanks for the suggestion. The Z5 is 50% over my budget, without lenses or adapter so not an option for me. It is also full frame, so my own lenses probably wouldn't be suitable.

Ian
thewilliam2 3 1.5k United Kingdom
10 Oct 2020 12:55PM

Quote:The Z5 is 50% over my budget, without lenses or adapter so not an option for me. It is also full frame, so my own lenses probably wouldn't be suitable.

Ian

I understood that the Z50 is DX or APS-C format.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.