nlk effects trial in photoshop

NeilWigan Plus
9 17 16 England
6 May 2013 7:39PM
Hiya ,I have just downloaded the 15 day trial version of nik effects package with a view to buying it at the end of the trial.I have had a play with it in P/S and like the program and the effects it gives ,at the end of the HDR work ,when it comes to saving the image created ,it freezes up Ps and a message comes up to say that Ps has stopped working and needs to close .Is this because it is a trial version or is there another problem , any help would be appreciated.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

justin c 15 5.0k 36 England
6 May 2013 8:02PM
I can't tell you what the problem is unfortunately but the reason for Photoshop crashing won't be because the software is a trial version.
Jestertheclown 11 8.0k 252 England
6 May 2013 8:11PM
I tried this a couple of weeks ago and had precisely the same problem, except that I wasn't even able to use it. The freezing and the 'has stopped working' message came up as soon as I tried to open anything using Nik.
I don't suppose that it does anything that I can't do in Photoshop and/or Lightroom anyway, albeit not as quickly, so I simply got rid of it.
Fortunately, it hadn't cost me anything. I'd have been really p****d off if I'd paid for it.
Spencer1966 7 85 1 United Kingdom
6 May 2013 8:59PM
I purchased it a few weeks ago and no issues with freezing up.

If your like me a photoshop is your nemesis then this is a great program. Although silverefex is just awesome and I would struggle to get the depth and clarity out of photoshop.
NeilWigan Plus
9 17 16 England
6 May 2013 9:03PM
Thanks for that ,like jestertheclown I think I will just bin it and carry on with PS.
gvet 9 52 3 United Kingdom
6 May 2013 9:08PM
Just to add, I was a naysayer and sure I could do everything on photoshop, however having played with a friend's version of nik software I was converted. Yes, in theory it's all achievable in PS and LR but nik software makes it so much easier, and I do believe the sharpening and noise reduction is superior to both PS and LR. Oh, and I've never had any crashing probs using nik programs as a plug in for either LR or PS.
GarethRobinson 13 1.0k 2 United Kingdom
6 May 2013 9:33PM
In photoshop preferences try turning of Graphics Processor.
Please post back and confirm if it works or not.
gfx.jpg

NeilWigan Plus
9 17 16 England
6 May 2013 10:24PM
Hi Gareth,no it is slightly different in my set up that box says, enable GL drawing,i have tried it both ways ,makes no difference. Neil.
GarethRobinson 13 1.0k 2 United Kingdom
6 May 2013 10:33PM
Ok worth a shot anyway.
LesF 13 182 9
7 May 2013 8:00AM
Neil, look on the Nik website there is a fix for this. It is something to do with duplicated fonts in the photoshop library.
Nik adds a few duplicates into Photoshop and its these that need removing.
puertouk 8 1.1k 17 United Kingdom
7 May 2013 10:06AM
I use NIK and they are very good. Don't give up on it, as you can get great results.
MartinBrown 9 265 England
7 May 2013 11:58AM
I also had a similar problem with crashing and had to update my video drivers.

Id be lost without the full plug in suite - money well spent in my book.
SlowSong Plus
11 8.4k 30 England
7 May 2013 12:33PM
This happened when I bought the full version. I did resolve the problem but can't remember what I did. I'll ask the OH when he comes home to see if he can remember. I just found the thread I started but it was inconclusive.
NeilWigan Plus
9 17 16 England
7 May 2013 8:40PM
Thanks for all help offered, I have sent them a Email and will get a reply in the next couple of days. I think it is a great package and at a reasonable price so I wont give up on it yet.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.