Save 35% On A SmugMug Account Today!

'No go' for photo taken in Shopping Centre

franken Plus
18 5.3k 4 United Kingdom
16 Oct 2011 8:20PM
It would appear that there have been recent changes in policy.

From AP.

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Shopping_centres_reveal_new_photo_policy_update_7pm_news_310050.html

Ken
pabloisme 11 566 England
17 Oct 2011 8:06AM
exactly BUT the ticket applies as the LAW is written to a wide variety of situations
User_Removed 11 4.6k 1 Scotland
17 Oct 2011 9:46AM
More details (at least from one side) appear to be coming out:

Quote:White has tonight confirmed to Amateur Photographer (AP) that he has lodged a complaint with the Police Complaints Commissioner for Scotland and will talk to his lawyer next week with a view to suing Strathclyde Police.

In a candid interview with AP, White - a mental health trainer - said: 'If I do not defend myself - even though there is no criminal charge - it potentially has a massive effect on my work prospects.'

He said he has received a letter from police claiming officers were told he had been seen talking to himself, was under the influence of alcohol and taking a photo of a female shop assistant with his trousers undone.

'My last drink was on Burn's Night 2000,' said White who denies he was talking to himself.

'At no stage was I aware my zip was undone.'

He said police have also claimed his daughter 'appeared to be distressed'.

Police have so far refused to elaborate, publicly, on the details of the 'specific concern' mentioned in their statement.

JackAllTog Plus
12 6.3k 58 United Kingdom
17 Oct 2011 12:28PM
This sounds like this is going to be a can of worms for both sides where no one will win!

Just turning it round for a minuite - Distressed busy Mum, is accused of photographing butcher with her blouse button open.
I've no idea on the full truth behind this but its often to easy to just blame the bloke based on sterotypes.
monstersnowman 15 1.7k 1 England
17 Oct 2011 1:19PM

Quote:More details (at least from one side) appear to be coming out:

White has tonight confirmed to Amateur Photographer (AP) that he has lodged a complaint with the Police Complaints Commissioner for Scotland and will talk to his lawyer next week with a view to suing Strathclyde Police.

In a candid interview with AP, White - a mental health trainer - said: 'If I do not defend myself - even though there is no criminal charge - it potentially has a massive effect on my work prospects.'

He said he has received a letter from police claiming officers were told he had been seen talking to himself, was under the influence of alcohol and taking a photo of a female shop assistant with his trousers undone.

'My last drink was on Burn's Night 2000,' said White who denies he was talking to himself.

'At no stage was I aware my zip was undone.'

He said police have also claimed his daughter 'appeared to be distressed'.

Police have so far refused to elaborate, publicly, on the details of the 'specific concern' mentioned in their statement.

This raises lots of questions and shows that facebook jury is just a knee-jerk kangaroo court that may in some cases have damaging consequences. Who knows what actually happened except those physically involved and as first hand witness statement is not reliable either we may never know the truth. He will undoubtedly present himself as a squeaky clean tee-total member of the public just fighting the bad corporate man and corrupt police and some may think that had he really done nothing wrong would he not have made such a subsequent fuss and just gone on his way - or doth the man protest too much and is there more to the accusations, which he needs to silence ... who knows ?? I dont ..
17 Oct 2011 2:22PM
Absolutely - but look at the positive side.

Whatever the truth of the original situation, both Strathclyde Police and that particular property company now know that they would be very foolish to exceed their powers when dealing with photographers. It does no harm to remind them of that from time to time.
17 Oct 2011 2:56PM
Agreed - some may be aware that I am an ex-police officer (of some years passed so my law knowledge is neither up to date or fresh in memory) but I am as vocal as anyone in criticising their over-zealous methods of dealing with photographers and the over-stepping of the law and the ridiculous use of the anti-terrorism laws, and even asbos in areas other than photography in public. I am just a little concerned when seeing 1000's of indignant fb users lending their support and forcing rules changes and back downs through power of public numbers done with a simple click on a keyboard and little or no thought, when they really know almost nothing about the incident they are reacting to. And the insuing high profile lawyer turning it into a litigous minefield. I often say we get the hyper-cautious and rule-bound society because of this or situations were authority darent even take action in case they land a nice law suit. Without googling thru pages of case-history and precedent I am not even sure anymore if i can take hold of a man who sits on my front lawn and refuses to move in order to push him off my land without getting sued - its a sad state of affairs really.
keithh 17 25.8k 33 Wallis And Futuna
17 Oct 2011 3:23PM

Quote:know that they would be very foolish to exceed their powers when dealing with photographers. It does no harm to remind them of that from time to time.

Is that because Photographers are known persuers of legal retribution or because they have pointy teeth - or just neither.
fraser 17 631 14 Scotland
17 Oct 2011 5:24PM
Here's the latest; if they think your photographs breach certain criteria they will ask you to delete them and if you don't they will throw you out

Delete or you're out
17 Oct 2011 6:53PM

Quote:Here's the latest; if they think your photographs breach certain criteria they will ask you to delete them and if you don't they will throw you out

Delete or you're out

If there is one thing that annoys me more than officious jobsworths, it is hyperbolic media hype.

Notice how the AP journos somehow transmogrified "may ask you to leave" into "will throw you out".

It's the sort of ***** you expect from the Daily Mail but not from Britain's longest-established photography magazine.

Carabosse 18 41.5k 270 England
17 Oct 2011 10:02PM

Quote:In a candid interview with AP, White - a mental health trainer

Say no more, as they say! Wink
17 Oct 2011 10:29PM

Quote:In a candid interview with AP, White - a mental health trainer

Say no more, as they say! Wink

He provides training courses for professionals in the medical and social services fields who work with mental health patients.

An exceptionally responsible job - so you can see why he feels he has to demolish the innuendo thrown at him (allegedly) by the police.
17 Oct 2011 11:52PM

Quote:If there is one thing that annoys me more than officious jobsworths, it is hyperbolic media hype.

Notice how the AP journos somehow transmogrified "may ask you to leave" into "will throw you out".

Yes, this type of journalism is as transparent as an estate agents property description but people fall for it ... it happens in almost every news media source we are exposed to, every single day. The annoying thing is that logically the journalists musn't think there really is much of a story in its original non-sensationalised form if they accept that to make it of any interest whatsoever they have to reword things in order to whip up public rage.
User_Removed 17 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
18 Oct 2011 9:30AM

Quote:I am not even sure anymore if i can take hold of a man who sits on my front lawn and refuses to move in order to push him off my land without getting sued - its a sad state of affairs really.

Are you complaining that it's harder to break the law these days? Or, are you complaining that the law is stupid?
Carabosse 18 41.5k 270 England
18 Oct 2011 10:46AM

Quote:I am not even sure anymore if i can take hold of a man who sits on my front lawn and refuses to move in order to push him off my land without getting sued

You need a decent torch when you're approaching someone these days. I keep one of these19-inchers in my car.... you never know when you might need powerful illumination. Grin

1-maglite-6d.jpg

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.