Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 6 months at 50%

No wonder law and order cannot be maintained

tomcat 15 6.4k 15 United Kingdom
27 Aug 2013 9:13PM
this isn't justice

A typical magistrate, Sue Rose, want's to come in the real world of policing

If someone "gobbed" in my face they would receive the full force of a Tomcat retribution
MikeRC 15 3.6k United Kingdom
27 Aug 2013 9:22PM
nice one...but he might have been better putting his knee in his b******s
....It'd look more accidental.

Hope he doesn't lose his job
dcash29 15 2.4k England
27 Aug 2013 9:48PM
Typical!
Steve_S Plus
15 183 3 United Kingdom
27 Aug 2013 10:46PM

Quote: If someone "gobbed" in my face they would receive the full force of a Tomcat retribution

And you would be done for assault Adrian (unless you could show that you had had an impoverished upbringing). This is the world we find ourselves in. There are too many do gooders in the world. In another 10 years the only people with any rights will be the criminals!
Paul Morgan 19 19.5k 6 England
28 Aug 2013 1:58AM
I`m all for the police and law and order, but I agree with judge.
llareggub 10 825 United Kingdom
28 Aug 2013 5:48AM
Surely punching someone in the face is common assault and as such the magistrate did her job?
rhol2 9 369 1 United Kingdom
28 Aug 2013 6:29AM
If you read the article through,you can see this is more than just an instinctive blow in the heat of the moment.( which would be fair enough in my opinion.)

After all, Mr. Scarlett's colleague gave evidence against him.

It hardly seems fair to blame the magistrate.
elowes 16 2.8k United Kingdom
28 Aug 2013 8:00AM
Being assaulted is a hazard of being a police officer. Minor assaults in the rough and tumble of a Saturday night would often be overlooked. Spitting was always considered be me to be a disgusting and potential harmful act. I would not have hesitated to use force to prevent it and would always seek to prosecute if the spitting was into the face.

In this case the magistrates have been presented with what appears to be evidence of a reaction which goes beyond reasonable use of force in self defence.
collywobles 16 4.0k 10 United Kingdom
28 Aug 2013 8:05AM
Cant get over the fact that his mate gave evidence against him -- some mate he is...... !
mikehit 11 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
28 Aug 2013 8:12AM
So you want to return to the 1970s where any criminal activities by police were protected by a vow of omerta? Where corruption, bribery and illegal acts were rife?
No thank you.

Prosecuting such cases does not lead to a situation where "law and order cannot be maintained" (as in the title of the thread). In fact, just the opposite - allowing the police to get away with such things is what makes policing more difficult.
Big Bri 19 16.6k United Kingdom
28 Aug 2013 8:18AM
Common assault or not, if I went out and spat in someone's face and mouth, I should probably expect to get a punch in return. Unfortunately we put our Police officers in situations where they are expected to behave professionally and abide by the law, regardless of personal attacks like this. I suspect that if it were you or I who threw the punch, we would get off.
collywobles 16 4.0k 10 United Kingdom
28 Aug 2013 9:09AM

Quote:Prosecuting such cases does not lead to a situation where "law and order cannot be maintained" (as in the title of the thread). In fact, just the opposite - allowing the police to get away with such things is what makes policing more difficult.

Yes but he still deserved that punch on the nose..... there are just times when a punch is appropriate! after all the Policeman was assaulted..
llareggub 10 825 United Kingdom
28 Aug 2013 9:20AM

Quote:Cant get over the fact that his mate gave evidence against him -- some mate he is...... !

His colleague gave evidence against him in a court of law after he witnessed him commit a criminal offense, aint that what the old bill are meant to do?
mikehit 11 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
28 Aug 2013 9:20AM
I agree he deserved the punch on the nose, but as in any walk of life someone in a position of authority has additional responsibility to act in a responsible manner. I have looked at reports on several sites, and it sounds to me like the officer over-reacted - you can stop someone spitting again without punching them in the face. But what we do need to do is separate the verdict from the sentence and the magistrate may take the extreme provocation into account.

Quote:If someone "gobbed" in my face they would receive the full force of a Tomcat retribution

A quick spray so his clothes are really smelly for a week?
jondf 14 2.8k
28 Aug 2013 10:43AM

Quote: ...as in any walk of life someone in a position of authority has additional responsibility to act in a responsible manner

In principal it's difficult to disagree with that but I think this story connects with a deeply held conviction in the country. It's easy to see why PC Scarlett could be seen as a hero in which a disgusting act (in effect an assault) by an already arrested person was met with the kind of 'justice' that many would see as a reasonable response. It does sometimes seem that we live in a society governed and controlled by a load of do-gooding, cowardly intellectuals in which the principal winner is the legal profession.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.