Get 50% Off Affinity Photo Today!

No wonder law and order cannot be maintained

mikehit 11 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
28 Aug 2013 10:53AM
And that is the dilemma I feel - on the one hand, police have to be seen to be governed by the same laws as anyone else. On the other hand the PC's reaction brings out the 'good on yer' response in me. I would have had no problem if he had been found not guilty by the court in the same way as in relatively recent cases where a member of the public has been found to have acted 'reasonably' when beating up a burglar in their home.
For me, the significant issue in this case is that it was a 'fellow' (if that is the right word!) officer who reported him. So either that other PC was settling a personal grudge (an equal abuse of power) or Scarlett's reaction was over and above a reasonable response. And in that respect I think it right it was taken to court and I am ready to accept the court's decision (especially as much of the media has its own furrow to plough when reporting such cases and the full details are rarely reported).
KevSB 16 1.5k 5 United Kingdom
28 Aug 2013 11:28AM
It does appear he over reacted and in that regard he crossed the line as a police officer, As a person the reaction was more than suitable. There lays the dilemma for me. In law both are assault but in this case the old saying should apply, "let the Punishment Fit the crime", I feel he was provoked enough not to lose his job but should have a mention on his record should he lose it again, A little like bound over but in relation to his work.
But As common sense and law are like oil and water that will possibly never happen.
derekhansen 12 210 24 United Kingdom
28 Aug 2013 12:54PM
The punishment meted out by the copper was appropriate, had he been a member of the public IMO, but I believe our Police bear the responsibility of behaving better than that. The arrested guy was already restrained and in the van so the policeman couldnt really argue that he was defending himself. Morally the retribution was deserved, legally it was wrong and after all if we cant trust the police to uphold the Law we are in trouble.
llareggub 10 825 United Kingdom
28 Aug 2013 1:01PM
There are many things that I do in my personal life that I would not have dared to do in my professional life, I don't see why this is any different.

Punching someone in the face in the course of your professional duty is not acceptable in any walk of life!
keithh 16 25.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
28 Aug 2013 1:11PM
Unless you're a Boxer. Wink
digicammad 17 22.0k 39 United Kingdom
28 Aug 2013 1:38PM
As disgusting as I think it is to spit at people I think the verdict was correct. From the evidence it seems that it wasn't an instant reaction to being spat (which would have been understandable) at but a considered response. He had time to make a decision and he made the wrong one.

I just hope that the punishment he receives doesn't include making him a scapegoat, some form of warning should be sufficient.

Ian
thewilliam 12 6.1k
28 Aug 2013 3:06PM
Was the prisoner charged with assaulting a police officer? If so, what were the verdict and sentence?

We do seem to have a culture of "poor criminal" rather than "poor victim". Better to hang the wrongdoer as high as Haman!
digicammad 17 22.0k 39 United Kingdom
28 Aug 2013 4:16PM
Whether the prisoner was charged is irrelevant to this discussion. Even if he got off scott free the officer was, in this instance, in the wrong.
monstersnowman 15 1.7k 1 England
28 Aug 2013 5:57PM

Quote:Cant get over the fact that his mate gave evidence against him -- some mate he is...... !

His colleague gave evidence against him in a court of law after he witnessed him commit a criminal offense, aint that what the old bill are meant to do?

its not uncommon when things like this happen that officers will report incidents their colleagues were involved in that were questionable ... Its not quite the evil, closed ranks organisation some people imagine, certainly in my experience.
CaptivePhotons 17 1.7k 2 England
28 Aug 2013 6:33PM

Quote:Cant get over the fact that his mate gave evidence against him -- some mate he is...... !

He might not have been the only witness but is the only one named as it makes better reading.

His colleague might also be a violent thug.

And, get this, he might be an honest copper who when under oath, told the truth!
28 Aug 2013 7:24PM

Quote:The punishment meted out by the copper was appropriate, had he been a member of the public IMO, but I believe our Police bear the responsibility of behaving better than that. The arrested guy was already restrained and in the van so the policeman couldnt really argue that he was defending himself. Morally the retribution was deserved, legally it was wrong and after all if we cant trust the police to uphold the Law we are in trouble.

I agree with this completely, while I'd love to say I'd be the better man and walk away, I most probably wouldn't. However police officers need to be above this, and set an example for the public of how we should behave. And I'm petty dam sure that assaulting people is not the example the police should be setting!
elowes 16 2.8k United Kingdom
28 Aug 2013 8:58PM
Getting your own back or revenge (which is what this case appears to be on the face of the facts given in the report) is not a defence in law to a criminal act.

You cannot 'take into account extreme provocation' when an offender is not in a position to there and then repeat the offence.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.