Noise in HDR images

andytvcams 18 10.4k 1 United Kingdom
16 Feb 2007 8:40PM

Quote:I remember the pier shot keith with the totally weird lighting did this use HDR

Defiantly not.

That was the real thing.
Phil_D 13 81 Scotland
16 Feb 2007 8:41PM

Quote:That boat doesn't look like night-time to me.

I can confirm it was daylight . . . of sorts!

Phil.
ZenTog 18 7.9k 1 England
coming from the expertise of Keiths ,there were probally a lot i didnt spot, but then i am no expert at landscape imagery
culturedcanvas 14 4.7k 59 United Kingdom
The reason i think you should use more than 3 exposures for even a relatively low dynamic range day shot is because of the same reason I would advise someone not to make extreme exposure adjustments at the raw stage.

I would work on .25 either way as a max really ... and although the software overrides some of this I can still see that a logical reason for using more images. Depending on the complexity of the program this can only aid image quality.

However I am not saying that all current HDR programs would benefit from this at the moment.

Dan
keithh 16 25.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
16 Feb 2007 8:43PM
Nope the pier shot was a one off and bust lens, paul..I've looked back and the first HDR I posted on EPZ was Sept 2004
Phil_D 13 81 Scotland
16 Feb 2007 8:44PM
Keith, would it be fair to say, following your logic above, that to rely on only three shots, those three shots must be ****-on. Had I gone for 5 shots, 2 stops apart, by default the lowest exposure would have been closer to what the software was looking for?

Phil.
16 Feb 2007 8:45PM
Not necessarily ... no matter what number of shots the mid, most under and over exposed shots should be spot on.

D
ZenTog 18 7.9k 1 England
16 Feb 2007 8:46PM
Iloved the light on that pier shot it was a wonderful range of tones, I am right in thinking the peir shot with the lifeboat
what about the lambs and hot air balloons probally way of mark again as you said it was as shot, this isnt crit just interested in techniques used to obtain such stunning imagery
16 Feb 2007 8:53PM
Look at it this way, Phil. there's no point from a software point of view throwing extra exposures at it. If you imagine that each shot contains 5+ stops of range anyway as a matter of course and then you have for instance three shots with 2 stops between each, that's a lot of dynamic range for the software to run with. then inside that scene you have to realise that people readily accept burnt out areas where they know they would have occured...the disc of the sun, a bright light on water etc. If you imagine your three histograms running across the scale...one well to the right, one an averaged central expousure that we accept will invlove some right hand highlights and a final under exposure that is nicely off to the left and tapers out in to the middle....that gives you full coverage with a decent overlap.

and nope, paul..lambs and balloons were just shots...my first HDR on here was one from Higger Tor.
16 Feb 2007 8:56PM
How much difference do you think the dynamic range of the actual camera models makes tho Keith?
ZenTog 18 7.9k 1 England
16 Feb 2007 9:00PM
I was interested to see the second gen camera the d60 actually had a higher dynamic range than the eos30d a 7or8 gen camera?
16 Feb 2007 9:00PM
As an additional comment I was told a few months ago by Geraldine at PM that there are working on third tone mapping method, which like the details enhancer, is based on a local operator.

This should avoid some of the problems with the details enhancer and allow users to tone map selectively too. This will make the software a whole lot more controllable.

Dan
Phil_D 13 81 Scotland
16 Feb 2007 9:05PM
Thanks everyone - all very useful.

Phil.
16 Feb 2007 9:06PM
it has to do, but you don't get a DSLR these days with less than five and most up at 7/8. I discount the Fuji on a quality level anyway...Wink

We have an email group of about 30 photographers from around the world going at the moment and it's widely acknowledged that redardless of camera and there's everything in there from 30D's to H2's, that most daylight situations can be covered in the three 2 stop exposures.
ZenTog 18 7.9k 1 England
16 Feb 2007 9:09PM
if I was going to do it in extreme sports with fast moving subjects , would I have to take one image and alter the exposures in CS then do the HDR route

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.