Noise in HDR images

keithh 16 25.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
16 Feb 2007 9:41PM
The reason for Canon not having a MF camera ....and didn't Hasselblad steal the design from them though...is that they'd have been laughed out of court.

canon made 35mm...people knew this, they bought this...they were allowed to make 35mm because the big guys were using MF and LF and the little people using 35mm could be happy with their Nikon's and canon's et al.

But now....it's all changed and top of the rooster shed roof is Canon and now there's a whole load of new users who just might come into the game with a digital MF canon....plus of course canon have made some intersting purchases as a company in the last couple of years.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

ZenTog 18 7.9k 1 England
16 Feb 2007 9:46PM
was it canon that bought out Mamiyas pro range then?/
keithh 16 25.7k 33 Wallis And Futuna
16 Feb 2007 9:48PM
Nothing more from me, Paul...not long now
ZenTog 18 7.9k 1 England
16 Feb 2007 9:49PM
Tee hee the silence tells all, if they did bring a med format out it would be too much for me to afford, I already havea rb67pros that I havnt used in years
ecowarrior 13 577 England
16 Feb 2007 9:50PM
Not Long Now=PMA?
ZenTog 18 7.9k 1 England
16 Feb 2007 9:51PM
or an anouncement at focus , I know they are not at focus but dealers of canon will be
User_Removed 16 17.9k 8 Norway
17 Feb 2007 8:29AM
Bookmarking...
Coleslaw 15 13.4k 28 Wales
17 Feb 2007 8:52AM
bookmarking
otam 13 1
17 Feb 2007 7:08PM
IŽd like to make a point that applies to my own take on viewing HDR images.
I notice that when we look at a highly contrasted scene, our brains/eyes can see a lot more detail in the overly dark as well as the overly bright areas, more than your average digital camera (even a pro camera like the 1ds mk2).

Yet when I look at an HDR image it no longer looks right, it seems that the software is also confusing black for dark, and lightening it. You need some dark areas to make it look natural. Its hard to decribe but thats how I see it.

Looking at the boat image it looks all wrong to me, there doesnŽt seem to be any real shade you need shade no matter how much dynamic range there is.

I prefer manually selecting the dark or bright areas using a large diffuse brush in photoshop. I donŽt know if software is ever going to get it right (iŽd imagine so) but maybe the hardware of the new supercam (1ds mk3) will provide enough dynamic range combined with resolution to make it all look natural, without burning out etc.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.