Enter the ePHOTOzine Christmas Prize Draw extravaganza!

Noise in Lumix cameras

Paul Morgan 18 19.4k 6 England
31 Jan 2016 7:17PM
That FZ uses one of the smallest sensors going (1/2.3) its how they manage to fit such a long zoom into such a small camera and your going to need to make compromises.

Use in good light, use with flash, expose to the right etc.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

MentorRon 1 80 Canada
1 Dec 2019 12:40AM
Hedre is a list of CCD/CMOS sensor sizes.
The larger the sensor, the greater the light capturing ability.
The sizes in red are circled because I have, and currently
use, all these cameras. Every one of them meets my expectations
for that sensor size.
See my portfolio for images from the Lumix and Fuji.
319285_1575161103.jpg

SlowSong Plus
11 8.4k 30 England
1 Dec 2019 9:26AM
Oh, I got all excited then. Started reading this thread and saw StrayCat and Lemmy contributing. Hurray, I thought, but then saw that this thread started three years ago. Sad
kodachrome 8 723
2 Dec 2019 11:23AM
Interesting subject, there was a time when Micro 4/3 was knocking on the door of APS-C users, well its now come in, I use a Panny GX7 and it produces superb images, yes, its probably got more noise at higher ISO readings than FF but its nearly on a par now with APS-C sensors. I am just a point and shoot amateur photographer and tend to stay below ISO 400, usually 200 or less.

I dumped my Sony SLT A-57 + lenses for the GX7 as it was just getting tedious to carry round. I have a friend who is a photographic competition judge and he often says, would you look at a Monet from 6 feet or more away or peer at it under a magnifier,

Chris_L 5 5.3k United Kingdom
2 Dec 2019 2:16PM
I loved my GX7, with care, I could get images to rival those from my 5D MkII.

Quote:I have a friend who is a photographic competition judge and he often says, would you look at a Monet from 6 feet or more away or peer at it under a magnifier
A Monet? No. But I look at images in the ePz gallery and on the web from less than 2 feet away. That kind of statement from the photographic judge contains a false premise, it suggests that all images are printed then hung on walls, further suggesting that blurred and noisy images do not matter because, like when we view a painting by Monet, we will all be 6 feet or more away. It's rubbish. Ask your friend if it's prints only and six feet away when he or she is judging images for competitions?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.