Your chance to win a Nikon Z 50 Camera Kit!

Norhern Ireland top spots

NikonNovice 13 107 1 United Kingdom
26 Jan 2012 7:06PM
Just wondering what are your best or favourite places to photograph in or near Northern Ireland. Hoping this thread might inspire some (including myself) to get out more or reveal unknown/forgotten places.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

cats_123 Plus
16 5.0k 30 Northern Ireland
26 Jan 2012 7:33PM
well of course there are a mountain of places.........

we've been over here 2.5 yrs and only just scratched the surface..

The North Antrim coast springs immediately to mind for its scenery..Dunluce Castle is a favourite of mine. But..if you head South to Newcastle you get the magnificence of the mountains of Mourne.

Belfast has loads of social history, of course

Depends what you style is really? Smile
Eastlands 9 760 4 Northern Ireland
26 Jan 2012 9:14PM
I've been here for 55 years ( doh I was born here !!! ) and the place is brill !!!!!!!!!!!!!

North Antrim Coast
Lakes of Fermanagh
The Mournes
Strangford Lough
Belfast
and many, many more scenic places

RSPB at Belfast Harbour lagoon, WWT at Castle Espie for the bird life
Numerous NT properties and gardens like Castle Ward & Mount Stewart

The pubs or somewhere like St Georges Market in Belfast for the characters.

And oh so many other places within a relatively small area, all within a couple of hours drive.
26 Jan 2012 9:16PM
Or somewhere like this

dsc-0007--6-.jpg
snapbandit 16 2.3k 3 Northern Ireland
26 Jan 2012 10:32PM
Unfortunately many of the trees of the 'Dark Hedges'(Eastlands pic above) as they are known have either been cut down (some are diseased apparently) and a few have fallen in the recent storms,still good but getting a bit less dramatic now.

Just to scratch the surface of the many photogenic opportunities in N.I.

On the North & Antrim coast road (A2) you have the old city of Derry/Londonderry and out to Magilligan, downhill, Mussenden Temple with Castlerock & Porstewart beaches in Co. Londonderry and into Co Antrim through Portrush (great for people shots at the big annual events such as the North West 200 Motorcycle races and the Annual Air Show) to Dunluce Castle, Bushmills, the Giants Causeway (plus the lesser visited Dunseverick Harbour) and Whitepark Bay, Ballintoy Harbour is great for sunsets & stormy weather, past the Carrick-A-Reid rope bridge and along to Ballycastle (where the ferry to Rathlin Island for the great wildlife) to Murlough Bay, Torr Head & Ballypatrick Forest. Down through the Glens of Antrim (Glenariff Forest for some great waterfalls & a nice drive up through Glendun) through Larne & Carrickfergus (my home town & has a great Norman Castle!) to Belfast.

There are many more scenic areas of Northern Ireland, but that’s just a few of the places on the ‘Antrim Coast Road’.

Some of my other fave’s are Belfast Zoo, Victoria Park (Belfast), around the Titanic Quarter for old & modern Belfast Industrial/Architectural shots, you get a great high view over Belfast from the Hightown Road. As Eastlands has mentioned, the Belfast Harbour lagoon & Castle Espie for the bird life as well as Kiltonga Wildlife reserve in Newtownards, The Ulster Folk & Transport Museum has some great historical items & buildings. Oxford Island on the South of Lough Neagh (great café there as well!!) is worth a visit as is the Silent Valley Reservoir in the Mournes (a great walk in the good weather)

As I say just a few ideas for potential photo opportunities.

Joe B
27 Jan 2012 6:45PM
Joe, anyone interested could simply turn up at Carrickfergus Camera meeting in the Clarion Hotel in Carrickfergus and there would be a host of nice people willing to offer advice on places to visit and for all things photographic Wink
28 Jan 2012 9:23AM
I personally like the Mournes and surrounding area but it takes a bit of effort to get there. Also the north coast has loads of places but I guess sometimes the best place is the place you are in right now.
cats_123 Plus
28 Jan 2012 9:58AM
Do you like walking? This site might give you some inspiration Smile
4 Feb 2012 2:38PM
Thanks cats. I will check some of them out if the weather ever improves.
cats_123 Plus
4 Feb 2012 4:19PM
at least we haven't got snow! yet!! WinkGrin
14 Dec 2013 4:52PM
The mouth of the river Bann at Castlerock where this was taken.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.