Kris_Dutson 19 8.2k 1 England
7 Sep 2005 7:46AM
Will you support it?

I won't.

BBC News

Kris.
digicammad 18 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
7 Sep 2005 7:50AM
You can understand why people are planning it but some of us really have no choice but to use the fuel. That is, if we want to live and earn money.
strawman 17 22.2k 16 United Kingdom
7 Sep 2005 7:55AM
To be honest the Fuel duty should be a fixed amount e.g 80p per ltr rather than a %. The government must be taking extra duty due to the rises.

As for the price it needs to be high to get the public to change their fuel usage and car selection policies.
MDR_Photo 16 872 England
7 Sep 2005 7:55AM
I will! Fed up of paying stupid prices! We all want good deals for camera equipment! Why shouldn't we get a fair price on fuel - something we actually need to run the country!
csurry 19 9.2k 92
7 Sep 2005 7:56AM
No last time I was nearly stranded, but luckily found a Motorway Services where everyone had just presumed that there was no petrol. Got enough to get home (and more), but then couldn't work properly due to not being able to get to customers and home again.

They inconvenience the general public, bet they all stock up well before they start the campaign.

Yes, I would like lower fuel prices, but go slows and fuel blockades don't help they merely inconvenience the very people that they claim to be supporting.

Still 92.9 by me at the moment, don't expect that to last long. Especially not if the petrol companies think they can cash in before any protest to soften the blow to themselves.

It is getting ridiculous when you start to think your getting petrol cheap because it is only 92.9!!!

And no I don't know what else to suggest I just need to make a living and that often means a lot of travel.

Cheryl
Marlin_owner 16 658 United Kingdom
7 Sep 2005 7:56AM
Can someone tell me if the price of fuel has gone up dramatically in the US?

As for Fuel, try working in Cornwall without a car. It is nearly impossible.
Miles Herbert 19 1.9k 4 United Kingdom
7 Sep 2005 7:57AM
Lol, whilst out in Malaysia I watched a guy fill up his car with over 45 litres... for about 8... grrrrr.
stuwhitt Plus
17 1.4k United Kingdom
7 Sep 2005 7:58AM
The oil companies have it made really, the price of oil goes through the roof, they then put up the prices at the pumps as soon as there is a hike in the oil price, they then say when the price of oil goes down, we have to wait for the effects of the price cut to filter through to the consumer, because of this they are able to post record profits, as I saw in an interview with someone from the oil industry 'high oil prices are good for my company'. But what really make the oil company's day is that its always the governments fault, according to everybody.
I am still waiting for a satisfactory answer from Tesco's as to why the petrol at my local store is 5p dearer than the Tesco store in Hindley even though the stuff came out of the same wagon, someone is having a laugh and for once its not the government
7 Sep 2005 7:59AM
The fuel companies say that their profits do not increase if prices go up, they have to pay increased credit card charges, perhaps someone knows more about this? I would love to see lower fuel prices, on average its about 98p a litre but managed to get some yesterday for 92. I dont support the blockade, I remember the last time it happened it not only inconvenienced people but caused a huge loss to all businesses.

Edit:
Quote:I am still waiting for a satisfactory answer from Tesco's as to why the petrol at my local store is 5p dearer than the Tesco store in Hindley even though the stuff came out of the same wagon

I think I might have a letter from Tesco about this, I'll try and find it later.
Kris_Dutson 19 8.2k 1 England
7 Sep 2005 7:59AM
Yes it has gone up in the US.

They're moaning they have to now pay $3 a gallon and it may reach $4.

Where's the 'roll eyes' smiley when you need it?

Kris.
geoffash26 17 2.5k United Kingdom
7 Sep 2005 8:12AM
Recieved this mail and beleave it makes more sense than blockade

This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy petrol on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May! The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to hurt ourselves by refusing to buy petrol. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.

BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work. Please read it and join in! Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a litre is CHEAP, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace not sellers. With the price of petrol going up more each day, we consumers need to take action.

The only way we are going to see the price of petrol come down is if we hit someone in the pocket by not purchasing their Petrol! And we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves. Here's the idea:

For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY petrol from the two biggest oil companies (which now are one), ESSO and BP. If they are not selling any petrol, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit. But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Esso and BP petrol buyers. It's really simple to do!! Now, don't whimp out on me at this point... Keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!! I am sending this note to a lot of people. If each of you send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300)... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000) ... and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth generation of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers! If those three million get excited and pass this on to 10 friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted! If it goes one level further, you guessed it... .. THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!! Again, all You have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all.(and not buy at ESSO/BP) How long would all that take? If each of us sends this email out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8days!!! I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you! Acting together we can make a difference. If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. PLEASE HOLD OUT UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE 69p a LITRE RANGE

It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell, Asda, Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons Jet etc. i.e. boycott BP and Esso.
chris.maddock 20 3.7k United Kingdom
7 Sep 2005 8:14AM

Quote:To be honest the Fuel duty should be a fixed amount e.g 80p per ltr rather than a %

It already is a fixed amount, 47.1p per litre. The only variables are the cost of the product, the amount the retailer wishes to charge and VAT.
Fuel Duty was supposed to go up by 1.22p/litre on 1st September but the Chancellor put that on hold until the Pre-Budget statement in the autumn

KRs
Chris
chris.maddock 20 3.7k United Kingdom
7 Sep 2005 8:16AM

Quote:It's easy to make this happen. Just forward this email, and buy your petrol at Shell, Asda, Tesco, Sainsburys, Morrisons Jet etc. i.e. boycott BP and Esso.

ROTFLMAO!!
Where do you think the supermarkets get theirs from?

KRs
Chris
User_Removed 19 7.3k 6 United Kingdom
7 Sep 2005 8:18AM

Quote:I am still waiting for a satisfactory answer from Tesco's as to why the petrol at my local store is 5p dearer than the Tesco store in Hindley even though the stuff came out of the same wagon

Like lots of national businesses, Tesco price their petrol according to local competition.
digicammad 18 22.0k 40 United Kingdom
7 Sep 2005 8:22AM

Quote:It already is a fixed amount, 47.1p per litre

That's a good fact, which means that all those people who say every time the barrel price goes up the government take more tax off us have got it wrong. They will earn more corporation tax from the oil company revenues but the extra price to us is down to those oil companies.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.