Amazon Kindle Unlimited Offer: 1-Month For FREE!

Not very happy with my camera

JackAllTog Plus
12 6.3k 58 United Kingdom
25 May 2012 9:19AM
Hi JN, when i first got my 60D it took me a few weeks or so to get what i thought were better pics from the camera, one big area i had to get used to was that at 100% it seemed worse. It wasn't but where as i was used to 10Mpx i now had 18 so was lookign much closer than before.
Like you i like the Q button/screen combination.
Pop some pics up to your profile as you get time, it will be good to see how you are using the camera and interestign on how you say filters affect the shot.

Good luck,
Stuart
mikehit 11 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
25 May 2012 11:31AM

Quote:What I have found out is that I seem to get camera shake much more than I used to. Whether this is an age thing or shutter mechanism differences between analogue and digital designs I don't know. I've also found out that filters can have much more effect with the digital camera and will in some cases be the cause of severe degradation of the captured image - cured by removal of the filter.

When you refer to camera shake there a whole host of thinigs to think about:are you loooking at the images as 100% (I see this was a question in your original post for the 550D). If so then bear in mind that you are looking at an image about 6 feet by 4 feet froma distance of 2 feet. Virtually no image will be sharp at those magnifications. Also remember that 100% on a 10MP camera is not the same as 100% on a 18MP camera so compare images at full screen rather than 100% and gradually zoom in from there.
Secondly, any compact you use will likely have quite aggressive sharpening - much more aggressive than the 60D. However the image on the 60D (JPEG or RAW) will leave you much more room for adding more sharpening while maintaining a higher quality of image overall.
Digital cameras are generally heavier than film cameras os this combined with your age may have something to do with it. If you are worried about the 'me vs camera' question, then set the camera on a tripod and you can see how good the lens/camrea actually is. For ultra results, use live view and a cable release.
Now for the long shot: how are you holding the camera? I have read posts by photographers of many years standing who still hold the camera like a compact with both hands grasping the body and the weight of the lens is more than they can comfortably hold - however your experience with OM2 would suggest this is not a problem. Is your left hand underneath the lens to support it? Is this hand sufficiently along the lens and under the centre of gravity?

Filters can certainly be a problem - what brand are you using? Digital cameras do not need the UV filter because, unlike film, they are not sensitive to UV and you will find people split between the 'never use them because they may affect the image' brigade and the 'I use them and see no problem with high quality filters'. It is personal choice.

I hope this gives some pointers, but I am sure others far more experienced than me can help.

Whihc lens are you using on the 60D? Even the kit lens nowadays is pretty good so this is likely not the reason for your
KenTaylor 16 3.1k 2 United Kingdom
26 May 2012 11:00AM

Quote:Tried comparison shots with my neighbour but we don't have the same lens. However, I lent him my 18-55 whilst he awaited delivery of a SIGMA 17-70 and the resulting shots look a lot sharper than mine.

If I may add my bit here it appears hat your technique needs polishing.

Step right back to basics on exposure by shooting combinations on a tripod.

When shooting hand held stand with your feet apart resembling a tripod, your body will be far more stable.
User_Removed 17 3.3k 4 United Kingdom
26 May 2012 11:24AM
Pictures from those kit lenses viewed at 100% won't look that sharp you were expecting too much from the kit lens.

There's a reason people use tripods, mirror lock-up etc. - have you been shooting all of your landscapes hand held?
JN 13 7 England
26 May 2012 4:14PM
I mainly use the 15-85 F3.5 IS with a Zeikos circular polariser (all I could get at the time) but I also have access to the bottom end CANON 75-300, Canon 100 F2.8 macro and CANON 400 F5.6 L, none of these are equipped with IS. The zoom and the 400 had 'cheap' polarisers on them which I've since discarded. I'm upping the ISO (used to use 64 ASA) to around 200+ and on the lookout for a decent tripod.

I do cup the camera in my left hand but don't automatically take a spread feet stance. Got to work on that. Look forward to more comments.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.