Regatta Offer: Save 15% on 'Top Picks' With Code TP15

Novice in search of help!

25 Jun 2010 5:49PM
Hey Guys and Girls i hope your all well.

In the next couple of months i am getting a Nikon D3000

This comes with the kit lens 18-55mm VR and a 55-200mm VR lens.

I would like to be able to do some macro photos what results "if any" should i be able to expect from either of these?

if these are no good what lens would you recomend for someone on a budget?

Thanks a lot in advance! Smile

Adam
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
25 Jun 2010 9:52PM
Both lens may well " Close Focus " but that is not a true macro at 1.1 ( life size )

For true macro the best option is a true macro lens designed for the job.

You can use something called an " Extension Tube " basically a tube that fits between the lens and the camera body, This allows much closer foccusing and can produce quite good macro results, Dependant on the quality of the lens in use.

Trouble is a set of Auto extension tubes will cost around 140, Though you can get cheap manual only ones on ebay for 10 to 15 quid, But only certain lens will work with these as you need an aperture ring.

A good macro lens can cost around the 300 upwards depending on brand and focal length, There is a great little 60mm Nikon macro lens around that price, Or there are other brands such as Tamron 90mm macro, Or Sigma 105mm macro.......As usual there are more expensive oiptions, But you need to be a macro geek to wanna spend that sort of money just for the occasional macro shot......Wink
spaceman 17 5.3k 3 Wales
26 Jun 2010 12:08PM
Supplementary close-up lenses (usually referred to as close-up filters ) are a good starting point for the novice macro enthusiast.
26 Jun 2010 3:35PM
Ahh ok cool thanks a lot for your time and advice ill look into this Smile
Late 11 9
3 Jul 2010 9:50PM
Close-up lenses are a very cheap and easy way of getting into macro. They come in various strengths, like +1, +2, +3 diopters and these will get you usefully closer. The best quality ones are coated, eg Hoya.

But if you want macro, the Raynox DCR-250 adapter is a much stronger supplementary lens for close-ups. It is +8 diopters and will usually get you down to 1:1 with most lenses. It will work very well on your 55-200. Unlike simple supplementary lenses it is a fully coated triplet design. It costs about 40 and will fit any lens up to 67mm filter thread http://www.amazon.co.uk/RAYNOX-RADCR-0250-Raynox-DCR-250/dp/B000A1SZ2Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1278189287&sr=1-1 There is also a less strong DCR-150 version which is maybe better if you don't want to go too close, for flowers and butterflies and stuff.

While supplementary lenses are not such high quality as a pukka macro lens, you may never notice it unless you shoot critical flat subjects like stamps or coins. The reason for this is because with macro the depth of field is very shallow so three quarters of the frame is out of focus anyway and a little bit of softness at the edges doesn't matter. Secondly, also because depth of field is shallow, you tend to have to use a quite high f/number and this reduces lens aberrations. So at f/8, f/11 etc, the Raynox will probably be pretty sharp!

Here are a few sample images I prepared earlier Wink http://www.flickr.com/groups/raynoxdcr250/

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.