Regatta Winter Sale - Up To 70% Off

Now I Want To Earn Money

Georgias_Dad 14 60 England
7 Dec 2008 11:43PM
Now I'm going to charge people for my portraits do I need to get them to sign anything before I take their photos?

Many thanks
Michael
Badger 19 4.7k 20 United Kingdom
7 Dec 2008 11:48PM
I'd suggest a contract!
cambirder 18 7.2k England
7 Dec 2008 11:48PM
Yes, a cheque!
7 Dec 2008 11:52PM
what sort of contract matt I'm new to this

I prefer cash cambirder Wink
7 Dec 2008 11:57PM
Essentially a contract of sale or to perform a service. You may be better off speaking to somebody from a legal background, who could draw one up for your purpose.

It would need to cover every aspect from any deposit payments, what you guarantee, any get out clauses for illness or other unforeseen circumstances, final payments... I'm sure there are much more things that would need to be added, hence the suggestion for a lawyer or solicitor.

As a starter, you could try google for generic contracts.
8 Dec 2008 12:00AM
cheers matt
I'll get some sleep now and do that tomorrow.

I was much easier when I just photographed friend and family
agoreira 18 6.0k Wales
8 Dec 2008 8:54AM

Quote:

I prefer cash cambirder

Don't we all! Except the tax man! I hope you are not intending to hide your ill gotten gains from him!
pentaxpete 16 718 1 United Kingdom
8 Dec 2008 6:12PM
if you are on the 'Beginners'' Forum you should NOT be charging until you have got some more 'Advanced' experience-surely you don't know all there is to know about interesting lighting, posing singles and couples and groups,how to talk to clients etc etc .
8 Dec 2008 8:07PM

Quote:If you are on the 'Beginners'' Forum you should NOT be charging.

Why? If he is being asked to take a portrait, why shouldn't he charge for his time or the image? What I'd say is price the product accordingly, bear in mind your time, materials, equipment...
robdebank 13 165 United Kingdom
8 Dec 2008 8:56PM
I hope you are not intending to hide your ill gotten gains from him!

or her !
agoreira 18 6.0k Wales
8 Dec 2008 9:40PM

Quote:Quote:If you are on the 'Beginners'' Forum you should NOT be charging.Why? If he is being asked to take a portrait, why shouldn't he charge for his time or the image?

Agree, if someone is prepared to pay for it, why not? Sounds like he is up for the job, but it is worrying here at times when people say "I've got a paid job coming up, how do I do it, what settings should I use?" Wink I hope they really know and are just looking for confirmation!
8 Dec 2008 10:19PM

Quote:Quote:

I prefer cash cambirder Don't we all! Except the tax man! I hope you are not intending to hide your ill gotten gains from him!

I've been and registered with the tax man so I can pay my bit! I also have a full time job which pays the bills!!

I have always photographed my friends and family and have a little studio in my back garden, but people keep asking me to take their photos so I think it only fair to charge them as they aren't people I know. I don't charge high prices and will spend most of the money on getting better equipment and courses to improve my photography, then one day I hope to give up my job and do it full time.

As for posting in the beginners section sorry I should have posted in the General photographic discussion. I think?
snapbandit 17 2.3k 3 Northern Ireland
8 Dec 2008 10:29PM
If you are charging for portraits I'd advise that you make sure you are covered by professional indemnity & public liability insurance, also that your back garden studio is covered (all it takes is for someone to trip on your premeses & you may find a claim going in!) & that it is permitted to use it as business premises.

It just takes one dissatisfied customer to make a few phone calls & make life difficult if you are not fully legally covered.

My 2p
8 Dec 2008 10:41PM
cheers Snapb

The building is already covered as the front is already my wife's Salon but I will double check it covers me as well.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.