PortraitPro Flash Sale - 50% Off + Get An Extra 20% Off with Code: EZ89

Obsolete equipment

ARI 17 563 United Kingdom
26 Jul 2020 11:54AM
I have sold off obsolete equipment in the past. I have an EOS 5D mk1 that has shed its mirror and is beyond economical repair. Is there an alternative solution besides the bin/landfill?
Thanks
Ari

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

saltireblue Plus
10 10.9k 63 Norway
26 Jul 2020 12:09PM
Put it on fleabay with a genuine description of its state...you never know, someone might want it for some of its other bits...
26 Jul 2020 3:11PM
thats true, there may be someone with the same camera who has fried the circuit board or something like that, they can make a working camera out of two broken ones, eBay is a good choice with some clear photos to make sure a buyer is aware
strawman 16 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
26 Jul 2020 5:38PM
Do you still have all the bits and does the mechanism still work? If the mirror has just come out of its frame you could either pay to have it re-attached or bond it back in yourself. I have in the past repaired a canon SLR where the mirror had become un-bonded. I used a double sided adhesive tape. you need to cut it to the frame contact surface shape and not cover up the light path to the secondary mirror. I also wore cotton gloves to not mark the mirror and it worked very well.If the camera has reached the point of being scrap you have nothing to loose...

Some people just use superglue. The link takes you to a description. It is a fairly common failure of Canon's of this vintage.
JackAllTog Plus
11 6.1k 58 United Kingdom
27 Jul 2020 11:15AM
Use it a prop for people photos?
Cephus 15 2.6k England
27 Jul 2020 11:48AM

Quote:Use it a prop for people photos?
Or a door stop. SmileSmileSmile
pink Plus
17 6.5k 8 United Kingdom
27 Jul 2020 11:56AM
Send it away for an Infra Red conversion, I'm sure they could fix the mirror at the same time?
Jestertheclown 11 8.2k 253 England
27 Jul 2020 12:07PM
The mirror fell out of my OM40 many years ago at Brands Hatch.
I scrounged some superglue and put it back on the counter in the shop where I'd "borrowed" the glue.
It's actually very easy.
nobby1 Plus
15 20 United Kingdom
27 Jul 2020 8:00PM
This was a known problem with the 5D and Canon used to fix it free of charge - not sure if that service is still available.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.