Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

Oh Dear...

Tooth 16 5.8k 227 Ireland
14 Apr 2011 10:36AM

Quote:What Stephen is objecting to, correct me if I'm wrong here Stephen, is water shot with ridiculously long exposures so that it just appears as a sort of white smudge.

Exactly, though I wouldn't say objecting to...just expressing a general dislike of..

and as for the pic in question, yes, that's exactly what I mean...looks like a giant's put the whole thing on a gas ring and it's starting to boil up through the stones Wink Smile
MeanGreeny 15 3.7k England
14 Apr 2011 10:52AM
Live and let live.

Peoples personal opinions should stay just that ........................ and yes, that's my personal opinion .................. oh wait.........
LindaD3x 16 197 United Kingdom
14 Apr 2011 10:57AM
We cant help being critical... thats what us photographers are like... if we're totally honest Tongue
MeanGreeny 15 3.7k England
14 Apr 2011 11:22AM
Maybe we should just confine ourselves to being self-critical.

I now take photographs to please myself [I hope] - hence the recent lack of photographs posted here. I found I didn't care what other people thought - including the 'nice shot' brigade - and the 'too much contrast' / 'too little contrast' comments about the same photo would make a cat laugh.

Occasionally I post a photo if I'm specifically curious about other peoples reaction to it. Other than that, nothing. If someone likes a photo I take [cliched or not] then I'm pleased they have a reaction to it. If they absolutely hate it [cliched or not] then I'm equally pleased at obtaining a reaction. Will it change what I want to photograph ? Not a bit.

If someone else wants to post a cliched photo then [nowadays] I couldn't care less. If it gets them into taking more photos and expressing themselves in non-cliched ways then all the better. Most of us started off by copying 'the greats' work, using a certain technique [Big Stopper or Holga or HDR or moody portrait with Rembrandt lighting] or going to 'well known' locations. Who are we to criticise ? Maybe it's unfortunate that some here can't seem to stop doing the cliched locations time after time [you know who you are] but I wouldn't dream of saying it to them [oops - sorry].

About the only valid comment made by the article in question was the one that 'Pro' photographers shouldn't be doing it - but he neglected to say they should if they've been paid to.

Whatever................

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.