PortraitPro 21 - 50% OFF + an EXTRA 20% OFF! Use Code: EPZJS

Oh no, not another photo of someone using their mobile phone...

19 Sep 2016 8:48AM
I was just curious as to how many people, from a street photography point of view, find photos of people using their mobile phones / cellphones, iPads, a boring, mundane, monotonous subject? Although I do find that they do have some merit if there is an element of eye contact or indignation from your subject. Regards, William
Nigeyboy 12 952 United Kingdom
19 Sep 2016 9:03AM
I sadly think that the type of photo you describe sums up the streets of cities / towns throughout the country now. People glued to their 'devices', looking down, rather than looking up. I saw a photo a while back, taken on the tube, and every single person on the train was looking down at an electronic device of some kind.
AlanJ 7 1.0k England
19 Sep 2016 11:35AM
What I find sad is that many (most?) mothers pushing their child in a buggy have a phone in one hand while pushing with the other. No conversation or interaction with the child however old. Also "friends" walking together while texting other people. Why don't they just be with the other person? Unless of course they are texting the person two feet away!
davidburleson 14 3.0k 3 United Kingdom
19 Sep 2016 11:40AM
I think it depends on how the subject (person with phone) is used. Take this photo for instance:

https://www.ephotozine.com/photo/text-ii-46362930/match/1/tag/mobile/id/46362930

The message this photo portrays to me is that life is passing by or she is stuck in her own world.

cats_123 Plus
16 5.0k 30 Northern Ireland
19 Sep 2016 2:19PM
Took this one on recent holiday...the Japanese chap must have been videoing himself walking around?😞

16933_1474291111.jpg

But photographing this is no different to any other street photography....just getting more frequent 😁😁
georgehopkins 12 113 England
19 Sep 2016 2:44PM

Quote:What I find sad is that many (most?) mothers pushing their child in a buggy have a phone in one hand while pushing with the other. No conversation or interaction with the child however old. Also "friends" walking together while texting other people. Why don't they just be with the other person? Unless of course they are texting the person two feet away!

Saw a young mother the other week struggling texting with one hand whilst the back wheels of the buggy are on the curb and the rest of the buggy with baby is in the road. Cars driving past within a foot of buggy and baby, felt like mentioning something but probably would have got some verbal abuse.
19 Sep 2016 5:52PM
The number of times I have nearly had someone walk into me because they are texting is unbelievable, I just envy their co-ordination. If I tried to walk and text I would be flat on my face. Blush
Rev2 11 302 2 England
19 Sep 2016 8:46PM
Just a modern version of people taking photos of a person taking photos, another photographer obsession.
Paul Morgan 19 19.5k 6 England
19 Sep 2016 11:08PM

Quote:I was just curious as to how many people, from a street photography point of view, find photos of people using their mobile phones / cellphones, iPads, a boring, mundane, monotonous subject? Although I do find that they do have some merit if there is an element of eye contact or indignation from your subject. Regards, William

No not really, once upon a time they would have been lined up reading newspapers.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2013/12/23/1387801470824/Men-Reading-Newspapers-in-016.jpg

http://ww1.hdnux.com/photos/46/74/62/10210492/3/core_promo.jpg
4k78l 4 278 1 New Caledonia
19 Sep 2016 11:11PM
Soon I'm going to trademark and introduce RR(Real Reality). People are going to be shocked that reality actually is real...
adrian_w 13 3.8k 4 England
20 Sep 2016 11:41AM

Quote:People are going to be shocked that reality actually is real.

Reality is an illusion created by alcohol deficiency.
riddell 16 90 United Kingdom
21 Sep 2016 11:56AM
If you find it boring. Don't shoot it. I'm sure you can wait a bit till you find something better.

Paul

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.