Save 15% On Excire Foto Software With Code: EXCIRE-EP

OK. Help me out here guys.

Goldfynche 8 306 England
1 Jun 2013 3:16PM
I'm an OAP. I have a Nikon D200 which I can't afford to replace, not that I really want to. I have an iMac, bought 2 years ago so is up to date. I bought Photoshop Elements ? at the same time. so that could probably do with being updated. I have been totally, gobsmackingly inspired by the pictures I have seen here. What do you think would be the most economical way forward with regards to imaging software? I cant remember which version of 'Elements' i've got, and its at home, over 400 miles away. I haven't even updated the firmware on the D200 as yet.
GarethRobinson 15 1.0k 2 United Kingdom
1 Jun 2013 3:37PM
If you just want to enhance your images why not try capture nx as a trial download, and install the nik software plugins also a trial and see if that does what you want. You can always use elements once finished in the mentioned software.
cameracat 17 8.6k 61 Norfolk Island
1 Jun 2013 8:58PM
Or check out the newer version of Nikons software that is supplied with camera bodies, It has been updated considerably since the software that was supplied with the D200 was written.

What's more its " Free " comes in Mac OS & Win OS flavours & supports the D200 codecs as developed by Nikon, You might want to consider the D200 firmware updates, From memory one of them speeded up the AF system a tad, Worth a look anyhow.

Nikon ViewNX2 from Nikon download and install the Mac OS version.

If you want something with layers and a few extra twists that will not cripple you financially, Have a look at PaintSupreme just under a tenner Yup! Under 10 quid it is a steal and fairly straight forward, Comes in Mac OS flavours and can be run on a trial basis too, Although you have no save option in trial, But 30 days should give you some idea if its your cuppa T.

Obviously there is Photoshop Elements 11, The latest incarnation that comes in all OS flavours, Again available as a trial so might be worth a whirl.

As mentioned there is Nikon Capture NX2 a paid for Nikon program, But it has been around for ages, So there may well be a new version in the air anytime soon, That and the crazy interface to get used to, Lets put it this way it works, But its one clunky piece of software, That's for sure.....Shame really because it does a good job on Nikon RAW files.

Last but not least Adobes Lightroom 4 , A good program and more professional than some, However version 5 is due out in a matter of months if not weeks, So I would hold on buying V4, But it might be worth a trial as V5 will be very similar interface wise, So having a look at V4 would not be a waste of time, Rumour has it V5 has a few new buttons & knobs....!!!

You can check out the Beta Version of Lightroom 5 here its a free download, But expires at the end of June...??? Which suggests that V5 may become a public release soon after, Who knows.

Wink

Quote:an iMac, bought 2 years ago so is up to date

LOL...Grin A computer that is over 2 years old and you reckon its up to date....Smile These things are out of date and dinosaurs before they leave the factories, Let alone the shops, Makes no odds what brand/type or OS either, Same applies to cameras and pretty much everything electronic these days, Yes I am a cynic.....Been there done that....Smile
1 Jun 2013 10:46PM
Lets not get carried away with the technology. Nothing has been said that would improve your images. Im a professional travel & landscape photographer and I dont do anything with editing software now that i couldnt have done 5 or more years ago. I have upgrade my cameras, but thats more to do with improved high iso performance, low light focusing and ability to print larger. However no camera or software has made me take better photographs or become a better photographer. They have however enabled me to take photographs in more diverse conditions.
You dont say what is wrong or what you wish to improve in your photographs. Or why you think any software would improve it.
Can i suggest you show us some of your image
1 Jun 2013 11:55PM

Quote:I'm an OAP. I have a Nikon D200 which I can't afford to replace, not that I really want to. I have an iMac, bought 2 years ago so is up to date. I bought Photoshop Elements ? at the same time. so that could probably do with being updated. I have been totally, gobsmackingly inspired by the pictures I have seen here. What do you think would be the most economical way forward with regards to imaging software? I cant remember which version of 'Elements' i've got, and its at home, over 400 miles away. I haven't even updated the firmware on the D200 as yet.

I think that you are well packed with technology, now you need a little thing that makes it all work- practice. Forget for a moment about all things technical - and start photographing. Do not try to "calculate" the shot - go by your feel, and then analyze the result against what you would like to achieve. With time (can not say how much , this is individual) you will have an eye for a good shot and enough experience to start planning your image.
Snapper 16 4.5k 3 United States Outlying Islands
2 Jun 2013 12:48AM

Quote:I'm an OAP. I have a Nikon D200 which I can't afford to replace, not that I really want to. I have an iMac, bought 2 years ago so is up to date. I bought Photoshop Elements ? at the same time. so that could probably do with being updated. I have been totally, gobsmackingly inspired by the pictures I have seen here. What do you think would be the most economical way forward with regards to imaging software? I cant remember which version of 'Elements' i've got, and its at home, over 400 miles away. I haven't even updated the firmware on the D200 as yet.

Updating software is one of the pains of digital photography, as the program will change pretty much every year and my Elements 9 will be Elements 12 soon and Lightroom 5 is at beta stage, so my Lightroom 3 looks like toast then? Well not quite, since your existing software will handle your D200 just fine. If you think it is worth a try, you can access Pixlr online to manipulate your shots and see how they look.
studioline 11 72 4 United Kingdom
2 Jun 2013 8:17AM
The best upgrade that I apply to everything I do is a brain upgrade. Nothing like getting into the nitty gritty of the processing software you have already. Elements is a very powerful piece of kit. Hope that helps.
KenTaylor 17 3.1k 2 United Kingdom
2 Jun 2013 8:43AM
They are so good at marketing making us feel the need to update constantly.
The image is what you see, the camera simply records it.
As for software there is nothing wrong with Elements.
Goldfynche 8 306 England
2 Jun 2013 11:19AM
So I guess upgrading Elements is the way to go. I have to admit. I do like a lot of the features. Particularly the text effects.
I also have to say, I've never been so fired up with enthusiasm for taking pictures. Probably in no small way by this forum and the regular and almost overwhelming support it attracts.
I've been a member for about four days now. A day or so before I joined, I applied to join another photography forum that appealed to me, noting that I would have been the first new member, this year. I am still waiting to be accepted!
Goldfynche 8 306 England
2 Jun 2013 11:28AM

Quote:LOL...Grin A computer that is over 2 years old and you reckon its up to date....Smile These things are out of date and dinosaurs before they leave the factories, Let alone the shops, Makes no odds what brand/type or OS either, Same applies to cameras and pretty much everything electronic these days, Yes I am a cynic.....Been there done that....Smile

Well I don't believe they've updated the 21.5" iMac just yet. Although as I mentioned elsewhere, Apple did change my hard drive on a free replacement scheme a couple of weeks ago.
bsld50 11 6 United Kingdom
27 Jun 2013 8:44PM
Goldfynche, there are many many posts in other forums about the D200, and its wonderful out of camera colours. Yep its old(ish) technology, but as others mention its the brain about 4" behind the lens that does the 'processing'. I have recently purchased a used D300, what a great camera, and your D200 will handle in a very similar way. Its also more robust than some newer models.

As others state, I wouldn't worry too much about software, but if you want to get the maximum out of your camera, shoot in RAW and use either Nikon NX2 (free) or Lightroom to make adjustments. I use LR 4, and what I really like is the ability to make changes, without having to take copies of the original (NEF) files as all of the changes are stored separately to the images.

Other than that, consider if your lens or lens collection is capable for what you like to photograph. Do you like macro/close ups and don't have a macro lens - then perhaps look for 2nd hand lenses to suit, eg the AI Nikkor 55mm 3.5, or 55mm f2.8. They are manual but would meter on your D200 in manual or aperture priority mode. If its portraits consider an 85mm lens or 50mm f1.8 - the latter is really good value - I purchased a second hand 50mm F2 AI version for 30 - it really is very good for the price once you sort out the manual focusing.

Above all as already mentioned - get out and take lots of photos - and enjoy doing it.

Just some thoughts.
Gundog 8 629 Scotland
27 Jun 2013 9:52PM
Just bear one fundamental truism in mind:

Your camera, computer and software will do everything today that it could do when you first bought them. I bet that, like virtually all of us one here, you are only using about 10% of their current capacity.

It is one thing to spend megabucks indulging an expensive hobby if you have the spare cash floating about. Lots of us do that. But, if on a tight budget, you are likely to get far more value for money - in terms of image quality - by "investing" in a few training courses to help you make the most of what you already own.

Trev_B 14 151 68 England
27 Jun 2013 10:24PM
Stick with what you got, I run a five year old Mac Book and Elements Six both handle the output from my Nikon D700 really well. Yep like everyone else I love the latest iMac and Adobe software but I doubt it would improve my photographyWink. I have Nikon Capture NX2 but rarely use it as it takes some getting used to.

The most economic way is to learn how to get the best out of the camera so that only basic post production is necessary. There is stacks of useful info in the forum and techniques sections.

Trev
StrayCat 17 19.1k 3 Canada
27 Jun 2013 11:05PM
Check your copy of Elements, and see if it will process RAW format. That's the most you will need, plus take pictures in RAW format, and learn the workflow for processing.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.