PortraitPro 21 - 50% OFF + an EXTRA 20% OFF! Use Code: EPZJS

Old cameras

2 Jun 2012 4:28PM
I have recently aquired some old cameras etc and not sure how to check if they are still in working order or even if toy can still get film for them, what I have is:

Praktica IV Meritar 2.9/50
Yashica yem 55 light meter
National PE-182S flash
Voigtlander Vitoret2.8/50

Now the really fun ones:
Contessa-Nettel Cocarette seems to have a shutter release cable with it and it still has support leg!
Ensign pocket twenty in leather case and original box with guarentee and instruction book.

So if anyone can give me any advice on film, batteries etc I would be very greatful.
chris.maddock 19 3.7k United Kingdom
2 Jun 2012 4:51PM
The Praktica and Voigtlander are standard 35mm film, the Contessa and Ensign are both 6x9 cm neg on 120 roll film, 8 frames per roll IIRC. Both film sizes are still available, although not as widely as they used to be.

Other than mechanical jamming/stiffness in the mechanisms and general light-sealing the potential issues that I can think of are;
The Praktica's shutter curtain is, IIRC, cloth so check for pinholes or worse.
Both the folders could have issues with the bellows having worn on the creases.

Best thing is to get a couple of cheap rolls of each film and give them a try.

Don't know owt abouy the meter or flash, though.
2 Jun 2012 5:13PM
Thanks Chris, I'll have a look on the net and see if I can find some cheap film, ot sure how to get it into the Contessa tho, I have some form of instrustions for the Ensign so will study them before I try.
chris.maddock 19 3.7k United Kingdom
2 Jun 2012 5:34PM

Quote:not sure how to get it into the Contessa tho

Loads from the side, apparently;
http://www.thecamerasite.net/03_Folder_Cameras/Pages/zeiscocarette.htm
dwilkin 14 24.3k United Kingdom
11 Jun 2012 5:21PM
When you're done with the film, Peak Imaging will do process-only on 120 for about four quid a roll, or process and scan for £15.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.