Save 50% on Affinity software including Affinity Photo and Publisher! Use Code: AFFINITY-EPZ22

Oly EP1 Vs G11

31 Aug 2009 6:25PM
Hi there

I am hoping to find out if anyone has taken the plunge and bought themselves an Olympus EP-1?

I ask this question as I was about to buy one but have now seen that canon are bringing the G11 out soon. I sold my 20D recently to buy myself a good compact as I was not using my 20D. I then saw the EP-1...

I have played with an EP-1 for 5 mins or so in a shop, and am really concerned about the incredibly slow autofocus... I must admit a real let down, even if it was the only thing that let me down about it...

What would people recommend for a keen photographer, but does not want the hassle of lugging all the gear that comes with a DSLR?

I really like how cool the EP-1 looks and the feel is nice and solid, however I just cant get the focus thing out of my head. For that sort of money I would have hoped for more...

Thx for any advice
Paul Morgan 21 19.6k 6 England
31 Aug 2009 9:20PM

Quote:Oly EP1 Vs G11

There not even in the same ball park, the EP1 is infinitely better, larger sensor, choice of lenses etc.

I don`t believe the focus issues are as large as been made out, there`s more than likely a firmware upgrade on the way anyway.
Rob_Taylor 18 661 5 Wales
31 Aug 2009 11:07PM
"EP1 is infinitely better" ...I'd like to believe that Smile
G11 looks good to me - optical viewfinder, vari-angle hi-res screen, decent zoom range - low light and high ISO ability yet to be proven but if those are half decent, it looks a pretty convincing all-in-one package.
I was asked to take photos at my parents 50th anniversary a couple of weeks ago. I did so with my D300, Nikkor 16-85 lens and SB600 flash ...about 1800 worth of kit, photos were OK.
I set my Panasonic LX3 up for my wife to use .....and her pictures were just as good!! (had to remove some red-eye though)
The theory says large sensor wins but I'm seeing some pretty good results with a smaller sensor.

Rob
1 Sep 2009 2:02PM

Quote:Quote:Oly EP1 Vs G11There not even in the same ball park, the EP1 is infinitely better, larger sensor, choice of lenses etc.

I don`t believe the focus issues are as large as been made out, there`s more than likely a firmware upgrade on the way anyway.

I appreciate that they are not 'in the same ball park' but I wanted a smaller camera/kit/ than I had with my 20d. Both the EP-1 and the G11 offer me that.

The one reason why my 20d gathered dust was that I could not simply pick it up and take it with me due to there being too much stuff to lug about. I am not really concerned that one is labeled a compact, and the other a DSLR, just so long as it is small and takes great shots, hassle free... Would a firmware release sort out the 'hunting' issue with the EP-1 then?

The G11 is also some 300 pounds cheaper (than the double lens kit)...

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.