Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Enter ePHOTOzine's Prize Draw, with fab gifts for everyone! Click Here

Olympus 15mm Body Cap Cookie Lens Mod

joshwa Plus
6 783 United Kingdom
20 Nov 2013 7:41PM
666-olympus-15mm-body-cap-lens-3-1363002271.jpg

The Olympus 15mm Body Cap Lens is a fixed f/8 lens, and this gives reasonable photos in good light, as can be seen in our review:
https://www.ephotozine.com/article/olympus-15mm-f-8-0-body-cap-lens-review-21536

However, the aperture disc can be removed (if you are careful and don't mind voiding your warranty), and will give a much brighter, almost f/2, lens, although images are much softer (toy-like) afterwards. There are a number of small screws on the back of the lens, and inside there are a number of very small washers, making it quite a fiddly process. (And not recommended unless you are good at taking apart and re-assembling small things). Here are some pictures of the lens afterwards. These were originally posted in the huge E-M5 thread, but I thought it would be good to post here so it's easier to find the information!

1-p7030012--custom-.jpg

1-p7030013--custom-.jpg

1-p7030014--custom-.jpg

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

dannyr 7 46 United Kingdom
21 Nov 2013 12:47PM
That's fantastic, I never wanted one because it was so slow, but at f2 I might be tempted!
The thing I never like about the lens was it was too sharp in the first place and not that toy like, so I might even prefer it!

Are there any example photos posted anywhere?

Dan
joshwa Plus
6 783 United Kingdom
21 Nov 2013 2:05PM
Hi Dan I'll take some shortly Smile
joshwa Plus
6 783 United Kingdom
21 Nov 2013 2:55PM
Paul Morgan 15 18.4k 6 England
21 Nov 2013 3:56PM
You can probably get a similar effect by sticking cling film over your lenses Smile
Carabosse Plus
13 40.4k 269 England
22 Nov 2013 3:08AM
Lol! The body cap lens must be about the most pointless lens ever made! Grin

The only thing I do with a camera's body cap is put it away in a cupboard - never to be seen again until I sell the camera..........
dannyr 7 46 United Kingdom
22 Nov 2013 9:03AM
Thanks Joshwa, much appreciated.

It doesn't look any softer than the Holga lenses, and a it's a lot thinner. If I ever see one going for cheap, ill give it a shot!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.