Save up to 360 on selected ZEISS lenses!

Olympus C8080 anyone?

Ian G W 16 396 3 England
7 Jul 2004 4:28PM
I'm thinking of upgrading my current digital camera (Olympus C50), and the C8080 is in the right price bracket (500-600). Has anybody round here got/used one, if so what do you think of it?

Ian.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Ian G W 16 396 3 England
8 Jul 2004 9:32PM
Thanks for that Mark. I had actually seen that review and found it useful from a technical aspect - I'm just interested in hearing the experiences of someone who has lived with (and shelled out for!) the camera on a day to day basis. I'm particularly interested in the focussing, as that is a real weakness on the C50.

Ian
grobins 15 4
13 Jul 2004 12:51PM
I recently bought this camera, and have been very pleased with the performance. The 8MP resolution really shines through, and the camera performs excellently, with hardly any noticable problems such as fringing or whatever. Of note are the long battery life, and decent wide-angle ability.

Less good are the controls and the interface (lots of buttons, and a confusing menu system) - meaning that there is a bit of a steep learning curve. But once you've mastered it, I think you'll be pleased.

The focussing seems fine, is fast, and fairly adjustable for macro and super-macro. Manual focus isn't brilliantly implemented, but workable
Ian G W 16 396 3 England
13 Jul 2004 9:30PM
Thanks for that - the C50 also has a confusing menu system, but I soon got to grips with that. What I don't like about the C50 is the apparent inability of the camera to focus lock in low to reasonable light, with the focus confirmation light blinking constantly, or, as often happens, going to a steady state indicating focus has been achieved, only to find the resulting picture well out of focus! Sounds like the C8080 has addressed this successfully.

Ian.
abtuie 15 7
13 Jul 2004 9:52PM
Ian
I can confirm everything that "grobins" has written about the camera, however, I think that any camera with so many features and user controls is going to require some level of learning to master its possibilities.

If you want to see the result of manual focusing in super macro mode, look at the last two photos in my portfolio.

Albert
strawman 16 22.1k 16 United Kingdom
13 Jul 2004 10:37PM
An interesting web site Mark.
UserRemoved 15 526
14 Jul 2004 7:12AM
If you're interested in one of the new 8Mp cameras I wouldn't go for the Olympus. The controls are not very well thought out. The best of the bunch is the A2, with its anti-shake, 1M EVF, 7X zoom and intuitive user interface. (Also very fast focusing). Try one. My previous camera was an Olympus C2500, which despite producing excellent pictures, was a pain to use without the manual and continual use of the LCD menu. The only Olympus digital to get it right so far is the E1. If you like Olympus this would be the one to get (rumours of a cheaper version in the near future).

BTW do you really think a digital still camera should have a motorised zoom as on the 8080? Manual zoom every time, for the sake of control, speed and battery conservation.

A2 Review

This is quite a good site for in-depth reviews of cameras.
15 Jul 2004 11:16AM
Thanks Strawman Smile
Mitzi 14 1.0k
9 Oct 2005 8:09AM
Abtuie - I have an Olympus 8080 and I am most disappointed with the focussing. Especially in the macro modes. You display some absolutely excellent pix shot with the 8080 in macro - how did you do it? I have complained to my dealer about this but he says I am the only one who has these problems but I know that isn't true from Google! I see that Olympus no longer make the camera and they seem uninterested in any problems. I have written to them but not had a reply.

Any suggestions will be very gratefully received!
peterkin 16 647 England
9 Oct 2005 8:55AM
I have a C50 which I bought as a pocket camera. Normally I use a C750UZ. The C50 is a good camera of its type, but you are right about its performance in low light. Without the flash on, it can't keep a high enough shutter speed even though it racks up the ISO to 320. Hence camera shake. If you do get the shot it contains lots of noise. It's fine in low light with a tripod, but not much good for hand held shots without the flash. But then I was aware of the shortcomings before I bought it but did so because of the manual controls and that it suited me for the purpose I needed it for. In anything but low light It performs very well.

I've always bought Olympus cameras and been very happy with them; but I'm now considering changing brands when buying a new prosumer (don't want to get into the DSLR thing - not deep enough pockets). At present, I'm looking carefully at the new Fuji S9500.

Whatever you decide to buy, Ian I hope it works well for you.

Peter

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.