Up To 50% Off Regatta Clothing + An Extra 10% Discount With Code: MSSEXTRA10

Olympus E410 Lens advice please!

Chanty79 New Member
3 May 2021 12:57PM
Hi everyone Smile I'm new to all this and am looking for some advice if anyone can help?

I have a old Olympus E410 that i bought second hand several years ago but have only just started using properly.
I want to get 1 or 2 other lenses for it. I currently have 14-42mm and 40-150mm lenses for it.
I want a lens that can get me closer to wildlife and that's good for landcapes. Do I need a zoom lens and a wide angle lens or is there a lens that combines the 2 requirements?

I'm looking at several Olympus lenses on Ebay but i'm not sure which to go for? There is a 70-300mm, a 12-60mm and a 9-18mm.
Which would you say is best for what I require?

Any advice would be really appreciated!

Thanks, Jess Smile
3 May 2021 2:51PM
Hi Jess,

You've pretty much answered your own question. To get close-ups of wildlife you will need a longer lens than the 150mm maximum of your existing lenses. The 70-300mm lens that you mention would be a good option as it isn't too expensive (compared to some lenses). The higher the focal length the more magnification you will get. So, the subject will appear larger in your image.
For landscapes, if you want to include a wider view of your subject, then you will need a lens with a shorter focal length than the 14mm of your existing lenses. The 12-60mm you mention would be a little wider, although it's not that much wider than your existing 14-42mm lens. The 9-18mm would give a much wider view, which is useful for some landscapes, there was also an 11-22mm lens that would be a little wider than the 12-60mm, but not as wide as the 9-18mm.
So, the two lenses that would probably suit the subjects best are the 70-300mm and the 9-18mm.
Lastly, make sure that they are FourThirds fitting lenses, rather than the newer Micro FourThirds, which won't fit your camera.

Hope this helps
Chris
Chanty79 New Member
3 May 2021 3:23PM
Thanks Chris! Itís great to have your reassurance! My instincts were telling me that the 70-300mm and the 9-18mm were the correct ones to go for.
Iíve now bought the 70-300mm lens Smile

With regards to to the Four Thirds Mount, which my camera has. Iím guessing the Micro Four Thirds is the newer style?

If I decide to change my camera in the future, I guess I will be restricted in what cameras will be compatible with the lens Iíve bought. So maybe I would need to come away from Olympus to offer me more options?
DaveRyder Plus
7 5.3k 9 United Kingdom
3 May 2021 3:29PM

Quote:

With regards to to the Four Thirds Mount, which my camera has. Iím guessing the Micro Four Thirds is the newer style?

If I decide to change my camera in the future, I guess I will be restricted in what cameras will be compatible with the lens Iíve bought. So maybe I would need to come away from Olympus to offer me more options?

Jess,
FT has fewer electrical connections than MFT.
However if you eventually bought a newer MFT body there are adaptors that allow older lenses to be used until you decide to change them also.

Chanty79 New Member
3 May 2021 3:33PM
Thatís great to know! Thanks Dave 👍🏻
pablophotographer 9 1.9k 405
5 May 2021 12:04AM
Although E-410 is a small camera, have a look on E-620 the last Four Thirds camera. It is bigger but it does deliver quite some performance. You keep the lenses, but the impact is instantly felt.
Chanty79 New Member
5 May 2021 7:38AM
Okay, thanks Pablophotographer.
Iíll take a look. Thanks for your suggestion Smile

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.