Don't Miss Out On Top-Selling Deals From Park Cameras - Find Out More

Olympus OM-D E-M5 for Sports or Action

B_Real 14 126 United Kingdom
6 Jul 2012 1:42PM
Has anyone used the OMD for sports / action shots, and how would it compare with my current nikon D80 + 80-200mm F2.8 (non VR) set up? (mainly used for rugby, snowboarding, mountainbiking). 80-200 is a massive pain in the hoop to carry around.

I came across this thread on dpreview

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1041&message=41620334

Seems to be pretty good for capturing fast moving dogs, but that's just one thread. Does not seem to be a lot of info out there.

Also, not sure how silly a question this is, but would my 80-200mm fit on the OMD? There, I asked it.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

Carabosse 17 41.4k 270 England
6 Jul 2012 1:56PM
To my knowledge only 4 active EPZ members own this camera (including myself) and none of them do the type of stuff you mention. So it would just be guesswork. C-AF is not regarded as one of the OM-D's many virtues!

Pretty much any lens can be fitted to an M4/3 camera with adaptors... there being no mirror to get in the way. But you will lose functions - pretty much always AF and often you'll also be limited to manual exposure only.
brian1208 16 11.6k 12 United Kingdom
6 Jul 2012 1:58PM
I've been using my EM-5 + olympus 75-300 for shooting Sail-board action quite successfully. The main thing I have had to get used to is the difference in using an EVF vs an optical viewfinder when shooting toward the sun. I maximised the brightness and now find that I can manage very well, being able to identify critical action points when a jump or wipe-out are about to occur. Shutter lag is minmal and I haven't missed a shot yet because of that.
I shoot primarily using single point, single shot and find this is spot-on but have read that there may be some problems if you want to "machine gun". For example, at 9fps only the first shot is focus locked, so I guess you would lose focus if the action is moving toward or away from you. (at 4fps it maintains constant focus lock). I haven't yet tried this so can't comment.

(I put some of my boarding images up on the earlier OMD thread if you want a look)

I don't know if you have spotted this review which includes a section on its use shooting snowboard action? here
ianrobinson 10 1.2k 8 United Kingdom
6 Jul 2012 5:16PM
I have the oly pen ep3 which is similar to the em-5 but without the viewfinder, however i do have the optional expensive view finder and it works as it should as an EVF, not a fan of the EVF though to be honest and prefer using the little camera without it.
Imho i prefer my canon 7d and l lenses for action shots all day long, I know they are heavy but the shots you get from these monsters are next to none.
Paul Morgan 18 19.4k 6 England
6 Jul 2012 5:39PM
The EM5 is not really designed for sports, fast action shooting.
6 Jul 2012 6:30PM

Quote:The EM5 is not really designed for sports, fast action shooting.

Well it's not really designed for anything in particular but it is a DSLR without a mirror. It is the AF system which is the issue. If it had the same AF system as the Nikon 1-series CSCs then it could presumably cope with fast action.
6 Jul 2012 7:31PM

Quote:Well it's not really designed for anything in particular but it is a DSLR without a mirror. It is the AF system which is the issue

Its capable of 9 fps, so in this respect better than most DSLR`s.

If your pretty handy using manual focus and predictive focus its a killer.

I can`t see any issues with the EM5, your comparing apples to oranges Smile
6 Jul 2012 7:38PM

Quote:I can`t see any issues with the EM5, your comparing apples to oranges

It is a DSLR replacement, so perfectly reasonable to compare with DSLRs. All I am saying is that it is purely the AF system.... and it's got nothing to do with the fact it's a CSC, M4/3 or anything else. If it had the AF system of the Nikon 1-series it would be able to be an even bigger killer! Wink

The 9fps only available as single shot AF as I understand it, i.e. only the first shot is focused. If you want to track focus that slows to 4fps.
6 Jul 2012 7:40PM
Can you not have 9 fps in manual focus as well.

Quote:It is a DSLR replacement

I wouldn`t say it is.
6 Jul 2012 7:43PM

Quote:I wouldn`t say it is.

Well it's replaced my DSLR - and (more importantly) Damian McGillicuddy and a few other pros. Wink

Quote:Can you not have 9 fps in manual focus as well.

Dunno! Grin
6 Jul 2012 7:52PM
If I get it, its going to replace my dslr for sure Smile

These new CSC can pretty much do most things a dslr was once needed for.

I do a bit of fast action stuff and believe it can cope, but I`d be focusing using lensbabys a lot of the time.
6 Jul 2012 7:57PM
I do think DSLRs might be restricted to top end in the future.... the area occupied by Canon 1D X and Nikon D4, with mirrorless covering entry level to upper-mid range.

But it will depend whether people are prepared to say farewell to the OVF, and arguably rather more realistic pricing for CSCs and their lenses. I cannot see any other reason for sticking with DSLRs really.
6 Jul 2012 10:20PM
Sold! To the man reading the snowboarding review. Although I'm a little unconvinced about the pocketability of the camera while snowboarding. Maybe he had a massive jacket. Would be interesting to see how the Rx100 compares to the OMD for action, as it will truly be pocketable.

The 9fps af-s / 4fps af-c thing is still an improvement on the D80 + 80-200mm. Most of the action stuff I take is single shot (as the d80 is only something like 3fps, i.e. useless), so will be good to get a feel for continuous shooting.

Only other concern is jumping from OVF to EVF but its no dealbreaker.
6 Jul 2012 10:33PM
So, do you think you might get one Brad? Smile
6 Jul 2012 11:13PM
I'm seriously tempted, it's a phenomenal piece of kit and I haven't read a single thing anywhere that might suggest I would rue the purchase. Going to wait until I can get my hands on the RX100 tho, as for sheer pocketability that could be worth investing in instead.

Got a trip to Italy in Sept, wondering if there will be any price reductions on the OM-D before then...

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.