Take your photography to the next level and beyond...

• NEWS
  • REVIEWS
  • INSPIRATION
  • COMMUNITY
  • COMPETITIONS

Why not join for free today?

Join for Free

Your total photography experience starts here

Christmas Prize Draw 2017

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Discussion

joshwa Plus
7 826 United Kingdom
27 Apr 2012 7:41PM
I think you'll be impressed Smile

Added a low-light portrait ISO3200:
https://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/item/olympus-om-d-e-m5-3968/images

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

brian1208 Plus
14 11.3k 12 United Kingdom
27 Apr 2012 8:25PM
Josh is the hot shoe compatible with 3rd party studio flash triggers (like my infra-red Prolinca?)
I'm getting very interested in this (even to the extent of wondering about "Downsizing" my canon set-ups for the OMD to save weight) but am nervous about losing some of the functionality that I take for granted with the 5Dmk2 + 60D
Pete Plus
16 18.8k 97 England
27 Apr 2012 8:36PM
I was using the Strobeam wireless remote trigger last night. I don't know whether it was a flaw in the trigger shoe or the shoe on the Olympus but they didn't connect and fire when fully inserted. I had to slide it back a fraction, but then it worked fine. It's a standard hot shoe so should work with all triggers of that kind. It doesn't have a flash sync socket so you'd need a PC adaptor to use cable based flash.
joshwa Plus
7 826 United Kingdom
27 Apr 2012 9:30PM

Here's a video recorded at ISO3200, using the 12-50mm Power Zoom lens.
brian1208 Plus
14 11.3k 12 United Kingdom
27 Apr 2012 10:46PM
thanks Pete, it looked like the centre pin was a standard fit but its good to have it confirmed. I'm going to watch the reports on this new camera with interest
StrayCat Plus
13 18.9k 3 Canada
27 Apr 2012 11:25PM
Not too bad Josh.Smile
Carabosse 14 41.0k 269 England
28 Apr 2012 12:59AM

Quote:I think you'll be impressed

Even more so by what looks like usable ISO 12800 from a 4/3 sensor! Smile

This device is bit mould-breaking methinks.
30 Apr 2012 9:05AM
Well it has............................. arrived! Grin Smile

8.45am (BST) - am I the first on EPZ to actually get one (other than the team's test models, of course)?

Just have to send off for my free grip, worth about £230, now.
joshwa Plus
7 826 United Kingdom
30 Apr 2012 9:21AM
Yay! That was early! (In the morning) Which colour did you go for and what are your "First impressions" ?? Smile
30 Apr 2012 9:30AM
I went for black and my first impressions were of a struggle to get WEX's packaging off! Tongue Grin

I would love to get out and about, with the OM-D, on what is probably going to be the only decent day this week - weather wise.... but I have to wait in for window-fitters. Sad

Never mind - it looks nice and, ergonomically speaking, seems to be a bit better than the Pen but, as ever, will take a bit of getting used to before it becomes intuitive.
30 Apr 2012 1:57PM
Proper first impressions: it feels remarkably like the Pen except for the little hump on top! The EVF is very good indeed and I will most certainly not be yearning for an OVF.

Even though the device is small, the weighting feels right and actually better than the Pen.

Taken a few shots indoors but, once the good artisans currently fitting a new window in my home have left, I canít wait to take the OM-D out out for a proper test drive! Smile

One thing I should mention: you may notice a the 'cooling fan' sound - the like of which I have never heard on a stills camera before! Even though I had read about it, it still came as a bit of a surprise. It is not actually a cooling fan, but is something to do with the fancy 5-axis IS system... and the noise continues even when IS is switched off. I have to say I only noticed it because I was in a very quiet room. The slightest bit of background noise will drown it out. However, it is just possible it could be picked up on the built-in stereo mics on a video if you are in a similarly quiet situation. So you might want to consider getting the (pricey!) SEMA-1 adaptor so you can use a separate mic for any serious recording. Separate mic is always a good practice, of course, except for casual videoing.

Here is a pic of my new baby. It is a neat package with the 14-42mm Mk II lens.

om-d.jpg

joshwa Plus
7 826 United Kingdom
30 Apr 2012 2:12PM
The noise is from the IS system - the sensor floats in magnetic field even when IS is off. It's most noticeable when the lens is taken off the camera.
30 Apr 2012 2:45PM
And I have to qualify what I have said about the noise. When switched to video mode the noise almost disappears: it doesn't quite go, but I'm reasonably confident it would not be picked up by the built-in mics unless you were in an acoustically dead room!

Quote:It's most noticeable when the lens is taken off the camera

Which many would say, you shouldn't really be doing with the camera switched on anyway............. but I expect that is a whole new argumentative thread! Lol! Wink
joshwa Plus
7 826 United Kingdom
30 Apr 2012 3:52PM
30 Apr 2012 4:07PM
Oh no, I can't bear to look - you're going to say I shouldn't have bought it! SadTongueWinkGrin

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.