Get 50% Off Affinity Photo Today!

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Discussion

Carabosse 17 41.5k 270 England
17 Sep 2014 10:42PM
For any small camera, including the E-PM2 (but not the E-M5), I will sometimes screw a CamGrip into the tripod socket for extra support. Particularly useful for video but stills can benefit too.

I also have folding Hama L-grip which I can use on any size of camera.

These are both cheap and easy solutions. Smile
Paul Morgan 19 19.5k 6 England
17 Sep 2014 10:44PM
The sort of grips you use CB add to much bulk.
Weldingblues 12 58 United Kingdom
17 Sep 2014 11:56PM
Has anybody used the E-M5 to take photos through welding glass. I have tried to set a custom white balance to get rid of the green cast but unable to get a good setting.
18 Sep 2014 12:30AM

Quote:The sort of grips you use CB add to much bulk.

Lol! This is the CamGrip..... it is only 3" long and slips into my shirt pocket! Grin

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CamGrip-80269-Black/dp/B000YHGAMG

Only really suitable for small cameras though. It's fine with the E-PM2 but not on anything larger than that.

The Hama grip is good for video when you want to use a separate mic or you want off-camera flash for stills.
18 Sep 2014 12:32AM

Quote:Has anybody used the E-M5 to take photos through welding glass. I have tried to set a custom white balance to get rid of the green cast but unable to get a good setting.

Have you tried shooting in RAW? You can adjust the WB so easily when you process the image.
Weldingblues 12 58 United Kingdom
18 Sep 2014 12:51AM

Quote:
Have you tried shooting in RAW? You can adjust the WB so easily when you process the image.

I shoot in raw, and tried to adjust the WB fairly good results I will try more settings later.
18 Sep 2014 1:10AM

Quote:

I shoot in raw, and tried to adjust the WB fairly good results I will try more settings later.

If you are shooting in RAW, your white balance setting doesn't affect the actual image data in the RAW file. So you might as well leave WB on Auto.

If you are shooting in mixed light, this is often hard to adjust completely so you may be forced to compromise.
Paul Morgan 19 19.5k 6 England
18 Sep 2014 1:20AM
Through welding glass your going to have a job getting the colors just right, even using the correct WB.

The best solution would be a custom color profile.

But for this you would need a macbeth chart

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CameraTrax-24ColorCard-3x5-OneSnapColor-White-Balance/dp/B005IUBU2O/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1410999727&sr=1-3-fkmr1&keywords=color+checker+passport

and this free Adobe software.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5494

Or a color checker passport.
mikehit 11 8.0k 13 United Kingdom
18 Sep 2014 7:30AM
There was an article in Practical Photography looking at using welding glass as a cheap alternative to big stoppers and they found it very difficult to get rid of the cast. Maybe turn your photos to B&W?

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.