Affinity Photo - professional photo editing with 50% off!

Olympus SP570UX

Maff2008 11 17 United Kingdom
15 May 2008 1:11PM
I've had this camera for a few weeks now so I thought i'd give an honest write up about it and my experience so far.
Main specs and features:-
Digital compact 10 mega pixel.
Lens is 28mm to 550mm.
20x optical zoom.
5x digital zoom.
P A S M modes.
23 scene modes and super macro.
Auto and manual focus.
2.7 inch LCD.
Pop up flash and hot seat.
Shutter speed 15 secs to one 2000th of a sec.
ISO 64 to 6400 and full auto.
F stops 2.8-8.
Price 240-300.
Batteries 4xAA.
The camera is all black with rubber grip. Very comfortable to hold and seems well balanced. Switch on time takes about 2 seconds. All the controls are well placed and different to the two previous models with the addition of a mode wheel and manual focus, the zoom is now via an electricallly controlled ring. The manual focus works well but can be a challenge sometimes using two small buttons rather than a ring.
The menu system is very easy to navigate and there are instructions built into the menu system.
I'll start at the macro end of the camera and talk about performance. Having increased the sensor from 8 to 10 mega pixels, this has given the user better cropping options using macro and super macro. The manual focus has made super macro shots more precise being able to focus on specific parts of the subject rather than a blanket focus. You can also set up on either A priory, S priory or indeed both. The result pictures on super macro are quite stunning and providing you keep the ISO to around 100 can be cropped severely without producing noise to the finished product.
Portrait and medium range shots are very, very good in all light conditions. There is a 'in camera' picture improvement facility that allows dark spots and over exposed shots to be compensated after the picture has been taken and this works very well. In portrait mode besides face recognition there is smile recognition. This allows you to put the camera on the timer get in the shot yourself and it wont take the picture till you all smile! The results for portrait are superb.
Using the full 550mm focal length on the zoom facility is helped by image stabilization which like in the previous models is a must at these focal lengths. It works very well and stops quite a lot of camera shake. Pictures of wildlife on full zoom are very good and can be cropped without losing image quality and introducing noise. However in poor light conditions if you select ISO settings higher than 200 and you do crop the picture, noise is apparent. A problem I have found while shooting wildlife at high focal lengths on high shutter speeds i.e birds in flight, is that on less than sunny days the camera fails to get enough light onto the sensor and under exposure is a problem. Increasing the ISO to compensate for the lack of light brings noise and limits cropping.
You can shoot 13.5 frames per second in 5MP on 1000th shutter speed to capture birds in flight but the cam selects 400 ISO minimum which you cannot change lower manually, this causes quite a lot of noise when cropping too. I was disappointed that there wasn't a fast frame per second count in 10MP mode of say 2-3 per second rather than the 1.5 frame per second supplied in continuous shoot mode.
Long range shots to infininy are not this camera's strong point. It will perform quite well in good light even with the limitations of F8 maximum but in poor light you are are going to struggle to get enough light onto the sensor by closing the aperture. Increasing the ISO on dull days does help but don't expect to crop without noise jumping at you. To be honest I fully expected the camera to have limitations in poor light conditions in comparison to a DSLR due to the smaller sensor.
I am more than happy with the overall performance of this camera, it's easy to use, it's reasonably priced and it produces superb pictures providing you stay within its limitations.
Good points:-
1. Excellent value for money and you get a lot of camera.
2. Features such as the macro and 20x optical zoom are brilliant features and produce stunning shots.
3. Very easy to use with manual or full auto settings.
4. excellent cropping being 10 mega pixel.
Bad points:-
1. Can have poor performance in poor light.
2. ISO settings can produce noise when above 200 on full zoom which can limit cropping.
3. Maximum F stop of 8 limits DOF on certain shots.
Overall, Olympus have made a very, very good camera here and it's out there with the best compacts. It's not a DSLR and wasn't intended to be but its got about as close as you can get without the expense.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

bangalicious 11 1.3k 5 England
15 May 2008 1:28PM
Might be worth submitting this to the team to be added to the "reviews" section of the site.

Anil.
22 May 2008 6:21PM
Can you please post some sample pictures?
pentaxpete 14 667 1 United Kingdom
15 Aug 2017 7:36PM
31387_1502822087.jpg

Here is MY one that I have 'Taken over from my Boy' who never uses it now, preferring his 'Gadget' for 'Snapchat, Facebook, Instagram' etc etc

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.