Want to sell your photos? Get Started!

OMD E-M10 Mk 2 screen problem

Phillbri 18 109 United Kingdom
31 Dec 2018 1:30PM
The live view/playback screen on my camera will only work when in the tilt position. When in the normal closed (flat) position the screen appears dead. Has anyone thoughts please. Many thanks.

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

31 Dec 2018 3:41PM
I've had the same on my E-M10 Mk2. Try the following:

1. Check you haven't switched the EVF auto switch off in menu (cogwheel J) and switched the EVF only on using the manual switch.
2. Is the manual switch ( to right of viewfinder) to toggle between EVF and screen on the wrong setting (it can do strange things when auto switch is on and you accidentally press it). This was the cause of my problem.
3. Slide the eyepiece off and clean the EVF screen - the auto-switching can play up if the screen us dirty as the sensor gets confused.

Good luck.
31 Dec 2018 4:08PM
Many thanks for the prompt reply. I will give this a try. Regards Brian
1 Jan 2019 12:44AM
Thanks once again for your help. None of the suggestions worked. Guess I will have to live with things as they are. Happy New to anyone reading this. Brian
1 Jan 2019 11:50AM
Have you tried a factory reset (but make a note of your preferred settings first as you will need to put these in again):

Turn on your Olympus OM-D E-M10
Press [MENU] button
Select “Reset/Myset” in Shooting Menu 1
Highlight “Reset” and then press [>/ dial right] button
Select “Full” and press OK

You could also try taking the battery out overnight afterwards. Seems this powers down various hidden processes on many digital cameras which then reboot clean when the battery goes back in. If none of this works it sounds like a trip to the repair shop - Luton Camera Repair Service are pretty good in my experience.
1 Jan 2019 6:14PM
Again many thanks. Looks like a repair job!! Have emailed Olympus in the hope that they might have some advice. Disappointing really, the Pancake lens has already been repaired twice under warranty...…...which has now expired by 6 months. Regards
23 Mar 2019 7:04AM
I think I may know the answer. There are 4 magnetic sensors on the camera. 2 of them are on the camera body, and 2 of them are on the back of the LCD screen. When the magnets are not touching (i.e. when the screen is folded out), then the camera turns off the eye sensor and turns off the viewfinder. When the magnets are touching (i.e. the screen is NOT folded out) then the camera turns the eye sensor back on.

Problem is if one of these magnets is missing, the camera will always think the screen is flipped out. I looked behind where the screen touches the body of the camera and realized one of the small magnets had popped out. Sad thing is Olympus only stuck the magnets in there with a bit of adhesive and I cannot find the replacement piece anywhere. Here is a photo. Please check your camera to see if it's the same problem.324509_1553324686.jpg

24 Mar 2019 10:19AM
Many thanks for taking the time to reply

I have checked my camera and it does not appear to be missing a magnet. At the moment I living with the fault rather than pay £100 upwards for a repair! Again thanks for your help

Brian

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.