GB Sports Photographer & The Panasonic LUMIX S1

OMD10 sport

johnmac 9 141
3 Oct 2017 10:02PM
Hi all

I'm off to photograph some show jumping at the weekend and can't take my DSLR as it makes you stand out in the crowd and one or two of the official photographers are not keen on visitors using long lenses. So thought I would take and try out my Olympus OMD10 which I don't use enough, I have a 50mm 1.8 and 40-150mm kit lens.

I haven't used my OMD10 for sport and so I have a base to start with is there anyone who have used it for sport? If so, what sort of settings do you use? What shutter would you use to freeze the action and what ISO I'm sure it's a lot different to a DSLR? I know it will depend on the lighting conditions on the day but how high an ISO would you go before it has too much noise on the image, I use Lightroom so can remove quite a bit of the noise I normally use my Nikon D4 and keep the shutter at 1250 and the ISO can cope well in all lighting conditions. Hope someone can help.

Regards
Johnmac

Join ePHOTOzine for free and remove these adverts.

4 Oct 2017 11:22AM
Never mind the official photographers, use the gear you are most comfortable with.
I've got the Olympus 40-150, I'm not that impressed, I find its too slow for low light applications.
DaveRyder Plus
5 3.5k 1 United Kingdom
4 Oct 2017 3:06PM
I've a 75-300 m.Zuiko on mine now.
However had good results at Silverstone F1 test sessions with a 40-150 as below

Hopefully this link will work
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Usv5kmkkjcR7NXKE3
pentaxpete 14 667 1 United Kingdom
4 Oct 2017 4:52PM
I think he means the OM-10 FILM camera -- i have been given one and it works well after a good clean but you will need at least a 300mm lens for show-jumping from spectator stands or you will get loads of unwanted stuff in the photo ! I have a 300mm f5.6 Tamron with OM mount BUT f5.6 is not wide for action sports in poor lighting -- you will need to get some Fuji Press 1600 ASA as I used to use for floodlit football !
Here is MY OM-10 ----
31387_1507132343.jpg

Philh04 Plus
14 2.1k United Kingdom
4 Oct 2017 5:30PM

Quote:I think he means the OM-10 FILM camera

Can't offer advice to the OP but I think you will find he is definitely talking about a digital OM, not the venerable OM film body... Wink
johnmac 9 141
4 Oct 2017 7:20PM
Some really good photos there DaveRyder with the OMD. I'll give it a go with my OMD and leave my Nikon D4 at home for a rest
4 Oct 2017 7:23PM
A search for OM-D-E-M10 settings for sports/action should give you some more ideas but you might want to create a MySet with ISO upper limit of 1600, centre block of 9 points and CAF (but don't use CAF with tracking!), shutter set to sequential slow then use shutter priority with a speed of say 1/1250 second. If your hit rate for acceptably sharp images isn't good enough you could try AF-S as it's quicker to acquire focus than CAF. The 40-150 is surprisingly sharp for cheap kit lens and f5.6 is a bit limiting in poor light but capable of doing the job if you take care. Good luck with it.
johnmac 9 141
4 Oct 2017 7:29PM
Really appreciate you all taking the time to reply. I'll try those setting to start and adjust if I need to as the day goes on.

Thank you all.

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.