Save 69% on inPixio Photo Studio 11 Ultimate (discount applied at checkout)

online Diploma in "Professional Photography"

fran_weaver 11 44 United Kingdom
17 Feb 2010 5:23PM
Hi Everyone

I was wondering if you'd heard of the Photography institute (on-line). I was considering doing a "proffessional photography course" which is intended to give you all the knowhow to become a freelance photographer but it is £500 and I don't want to throw good money down the pan.

I'd love to hear what your thoughts are on it.

Many thanks - Fran
collywobles 17 4.1k 10 United Kingdom
17 Feb 2010 5:33PM
Fran - Anything On-Line I am always cautious of - thats not to say that some things are not genuine. £500 is a lot of money which I believe would be better spent on a proper photography course at a college.

In looking at your portfolio you are well on the way to good photography, if you need anything it is probably the commercial aspect. Of taking the right kind of images and then selling them. Does Prof Photog give you this?

I would certainly not jump into it without looking at what is available elsewhere. Good Luck - Colin
17 Feb 2010 5:36PM
Thanks for that Colin

Fran Grin
GlennH 16 1.9k 1 France
17 Feb 2010 6:24PM
I'm not convinced you'd learn more from these courses than you would a good book on the subject at a fraction of the cost. Lee Frost produced one or two good books on Freelancing.
rossd 18 1.1k England
17 Feb 2010 6:39PM
Totally agree with Glennh.

If you want to get into freelancing I suggest you join the Bureau of Freelance Photographers (BFP). Although not a professional organisation they produce a monthly newsletter that gives leads, info etc.

BFP

(Hooray..................my first successful link under the new system)
17 Feb 2010 6:56PM
Thanks everyone! I guess I was thinking that some structured learning would help me. If I had modules and assessments to complete it would keep me focused. I'm unable to go to college as I work and there are no night courses available. I have actually thought of going on one of these weekend breaks where you get 1:1 tuition I would absolutely love to have someone really with me on a photoshoot, explain my faults and help me overcome them.

Fran
LensYews 12 1.3k 1 United Kingdom
17 Feb 2010 7:24PM
The BFP run a shoot 'n' sell course which I understand is a fairly well regarded course, a 1/3 cheaper than the online course you mention and offers structured content, but with some flexibility around the tuition and pace of the course. Or at least thatís what the brochure they sent me the other day says.
17 Feb 2010 7:30PM
Have just been on the website and ordered the brochure, thanks
Debbiee 14 136 6 United Kingdom
22 Feb 2010 12:11PM
I'm probably going to suggest something thats already been tried having not really been active on this site previously I don't know, but could we not create our own sort of course somehow, create briefs for budding learners like myself to work towards, it would help give us some motivation and inspiration. I'm not sure how assessing it would work though maybe the rest of us giving truthful critique. just an idea
Debbiee 14 136 6 United Kingdom
22 Feb 2010 2:40PM
Just realised after navigating my way round some more of the site I have basically suggested whats already happening here with the critique buddies, sorry
22 Feb 2010 4:37PM
No worries, I'm still working my way around and learning what brilliant things are here on ephotozine. I have learned more on here in the short time I've been a member than the past three years I was a member on another online photographic site, and everyone here are much more friendly!
User_Removed 13 718 1 United Kingdom
22 Feb 2010 11:26PM
The OU have a 10 week digital photography course which may suit you. It cost around £190 and the next course starts in May. [link=]http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/course/t189.htm[/link]
Worbz 9 2 United Kingdom
20 Feb 2012 12:05AM
Hi Fran
I am actually working towards the online Diploma in Professional Photography at the moment and, like you, I went through all the pros and cons. I know others have put you off but I have been really motivated by it and am really enjoying the challenge it provides.
I have a very good online tutor who is there to answer any problems and gives me thorough feedback on my assignments. I know you can seek information on the internet but this course will give you that incentive to cover all the main aspects of being a professional photographer or simply to help you take better photographs!

Martin
Worbz 9 2 United Kingdom
20 Feb 2012 12:15AM
just noticed the date of this thread! I'm 2 years too late!!!!!
Mouse86 9 2
17 Apr 2012 10:51PM
Hi Worbz/Martin,

Quote:Hi Fran
I am actually working towards the online Diploma in Professional Photography at the moment and, like you, I went through all the pros and cons. I know others have put you off but I have been really motivated by it and am really enjoying the challenge it provides.
I have a very good online tutor who is there to answer any problems and gives me thorough feedback on my assignments. I know you can seek information on the internet but this course will give you that incentive to cover all the main aspects of being a professional photographer or simply to help you take better photographs!

Martin

I'm actually really glad you've replied at such a late date because i'm really in two minds at the moment about choosing between the course you're doing and the Photography Institute course.

How in-depth have you found the modules for the course that you're doing? I only ask because the course extract on their website really doesn't actually look like it goes in to much depth, and i'd like to know if maybe they've just chosen a bad excerpt!

Look forward to hearing your views on how it' been so far!

Sign In

You must be a member to leave a comment.

ePHOTOzine, the web's friendliest photography community.

Join For Free

Upload photos, chat with photographers, win prizes and much more.